Just Labradors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can you watch these 3 videos and tell me what you think about Barley's cough? UPDATE

Barley has been coughing only after barking for a few weeks now. He's not up to date on Bord. and he never goes anywhere. Our other dogs have no symptoms. Does it sound like KC?

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/bbbmom/Barley cough/

P.S. He HATES to be brushed, he barks at the process, that's why hubby is chasing him all around the room, haha!

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
It was kind of hard to hear, but it almost sounded like he was making throat clearing sounds after he barked. Two things came to mind- in that situation, I thought maybe he was just nervous since he doens't like being brushed. But the other thing that came to mind was Mick used to make throat clearing sounds when he was nervous (it sounded like he was trying to hack up a hairball). At that time, my vet & I chalked it up to him just being weird, especially since a little hairball remedy stopped it and that was the only thing "wrong". But, years later he was diagnosed with laryngeal paralysis. Looking back, we think the throat clearing was very early signs of the LP.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading your older posts on the subject, LP is one of my fears. He definitely hacks like there's something in his throat. Only when he barks though. For example, he doesn't like to get his harness put on for walks so he barks when we come at him with it, haha! Then he does this hack/gag thing a few times.

He's almost 2, how old was Mick when he started showing symptoms?

Regardless, I'm calling the vet to make an appt. tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I was reading your older posts on the subject, LP is one of my fears. He definitely hacks like there's something in his throat. Only when he barks though. For example, he doesn't like to get his harness put on for walks so he barks when we come at him with it, haha! Then he does this hack/gag thing a few times.

He's almost 2, how old was Mick when he started showing symptoms?

Regardless, I'm calling the vet to make an appt. tomorrow.
Mick was a little over 11 years old when he was diagnosed, but the throat clearing thing started when he was about 7. His was aquited, as in age onset. There is a form of LP that comes on earlier, too. I think it's called inherited. I think I have some sites saved on LP. I'll see if I can find them.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
That's kennel cough. If you go into the vet, please make sure you wait until they are ready to take you in the room to take Barley in so that he doesn't infect others in the lobby. This is a big time season for KC. Bordatella will not do much to prevent it from happening.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the vet told me to check in, leave him in the car til his room is ready. I really hope it's as simple as KC, can't believe none of my other dogs have symptoms, since Barley has had them for a few weeks already.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, vet says not kennel cough but tracheitis/tracheobronchitis. Gave him a shot of dexamethasone and cough tablets if needed. If it doesn't go away in 3-4 days, he'll do an xray.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.