Just Labradors banner

Can you, or do you live without a microwave oven?

• Never! It's my main method of cooking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I use it for some essential timesaving things

• No, like the convenience

• Yes, don't have one and survive just fine

• I don't have one, but I want one

• I have one, but I could live without it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking lately, my microwave is taking up valuable real estate on my countertop. It is white, and 10 years old. My other appliances are all either black, stainless steel, or back & stainless combo. I have nowhere else in my kitchen to put it, and I hate cleaning it. he only things it is used for is (by me )reheating leftovers (much more time consuming on the range, plus dirties more pots), defrosting when I have forgotten to take something out the day before, and melting butter for baking (no biggie, stovetop is fine). Hubby uses it for nuking veggies, but I dislike the way they cook, I steam mine on the range. So so I have a huge veggie nuker on my counter? If I had a very small, sleek one I might not mind it so much, I don't know. Is it a waste of space? Part of me wants to ditch it, so I may put it in the basement for 2 weeks to see if I really miss/ned it, that wa I can bring it back if I need to. Several of my family/friends don't have oe, and they make out just fine. Some don't like the look in their "designer" kicthens , one is afraid of carcinogens in the plastic dishes leaching into food during the heating process, lots of reasons.

I am curious to know who has a microwave & who doesn't & why. I'll let you know how my 2 week experiment goes without my "nuker"

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I could absolutely live without it.

I think the last thing I used it for was for making hot dogs a few weeks ago and that was only because it was quicker than boiling them.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Both my parents and my inlaws installed the oven-hood microwaves, and we have ours on a shelf above the counter. I agree they take up a lot of space, but we definitely use ours a lot!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You forgot to add option "have one, but could live without it". That's what I would pick.

I had a big giganto one - combo toaster/microwave/oven and it took up so much space. I put it out by the road with a "free" sign on it. Someone took it within an hour. Went out and bought a much smaller regular ole' microwave. The only thing I use it for is to cook those Green Giant frozen veggies. I could always steam them though, or boil in the bag.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
We could live w/out ours. We find that the toaster oven gets more use. The micro is great for ensuring that everything arrives at the table piping hot (reheating the gravy, for instance, which has cooled on the stove top while the roast has finished up), but we use it very little for out-and-out cooking.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jzgrlduff said:
You forgot to add option "have one, but could live without it". That's what I would pick.

I had a big giganto one - combo toaster/microwave/oven and it took up so much space. I put it out by the road with a "free" sign on it. Someone took it within an hour. Went out and bought a much smaller regular ole' microwave. The only thing I use it for is to cook those Green Giant frozen veggies. I could always steam them though, or boil in the bag.
I just realized I forgot that :-X That's my option too, lol! sorry.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I never use to use my when it was on the counter until I started JC and then all meals are mircowaved so when we red did our kitchen I put an over the range one and now i find I use it all the time for reheating and cooking veggies etc.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I have a small one on my counter, but would love an over-the-range type. I couldn't live without it, because I'm always using it to reheat leftovers. I rarely use it for my main cooking unless it's frozen veggies or something.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
There's no way. I steam the majority of our vegetables in the microwave. I also reheat in it.

Funny you should post this - I was just at a good friends house who has a brand new house and when I got home I realized I never saw a microwave. I called her and she said that her SU hates them, so they just don't have one. However, she recently bought one to put in her teenage kids rec room for popcorn and Hot Pockets.

I just couldn't not have one in my kitchen.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CoCosMom said:
Both my parents and my inlaws installed the oven-hood microwaves, and we have ours on a shelf above the counter. I agree they take up a lot of space, but we definitely use ours a lot!
Do you "cook" with it? I never have. I often wonder how they work for cooking food. I do reheat in it, which is pretty convenient. Can I trahe that convenience for more counter space? Don't know. :p

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
It's definitely used a lot in my house. I steam veggies in there, heat water for my hot chocolate, popcorn, reheat lots of dinners, etc. etc. Oh and use it to hide things from my countersurfers!! ;)

Mine is a built in above the cook top; have you looked at getting one like that.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
eastcoastmom said:
CoCosMom said:
Do you "cook" with it? I never have. I often wonder how they work for cooking food. I do reheat in it, which is pretty convenient. Can I trahe that convenience for more counter space? Don't know. :p
It gets used to reheat leftovers, for frozen dinners, soups, and frozen veggies. Also to defrost. And to melt butter for things like rice crispy treats... I freeze my bagels because I don't eat them every day, so I pop one in for 20 seconds before putting it in the toaster oven.

We also use the toaster oven a lot, as we don't own a toaster and when you are cooking for 2 its better than using the whole oven sometimes.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Couldn't live without it.

Ours is over the range. We use it mostly for steaming vegetables in one of the steamers from Pampered Chef, warming stuff up, melting butter, popcorn, frozen meals...

There's one at work too. If that one went out and they didn't replace it, I'd have to buy one for the kitchen myself. I have a Lean Cuisine for lunch almost every day.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forgot the frozen bagel thing, but i guess that falls under the defrost feature. I use it for that too, a lot. maybe I have to invest in a smalle, sexy black or stainless one ;D I can't put one over my range as I have a matching hood already up there. hmmmm, no room for a microwave cart, and my baker's rack already housed my small tv (I need to watch tv while I cook ;). I could reeeeeeeally use the counter space though. Who would have thought this would be such a tough deision?

G

·
zoezoe said:
It's definitely used a lot in my house. I steam veggies in there, heat water for my hot chocolate, popcorn, reheat lots of dinners, etc. etc. Oh and use it to hide things from my countersurfers!! ;)

Mine is a built in above the cook top; have you looked at getting one like that.
Mine is part of the exhaust hood and I was recently without it for a couple of weeks (my 16yo son blew it up and we had to get a rather cranky repairman out to fix it). Boy, did we miss it! No microwave, no exhaust fan and no light for the cooktop.

And I use it a lot - not really for cooking entire meals but for parts of meals - veggies, baked or sweet potatoes - and also stashing stuff away from the counter surfers.

If you get it off the counter - it will cease to be the annoyance it is now. Mine was on the counter for years and I know what you mean!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts