Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often say that HK can tell time. It time to feed me. Its time to go to bed. Its time to do something else. Well, DW has probably corrected my thinking, although I think an empty stomach may have something to do with it also.

She got home early and the two of us were sitting at the kitchen table talking, with the tv on. HK was laying on her mat.

5:00 on the clock and HK jumps up, starts with her feed me bark. I look at the clock and tell say to DW, 'See! She can tell time.'

DW says to me, 'The 5:00 news theme just came on the tv and she knows that music means dinner time.'

Hmmmm! I think she may be right. We are too much into our routines at home. I think HK picks up on certain activity for certain results involving her. And I thought she could read the clock.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
That is so funny!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
hehehe!

Milly is ruled by 7am and 7pm.

My alarm goes off at 7am..... so that is obviously her queue for the mornings.

We do not have a routine for evenings, but at 7pm every night I get the 'feed me stare' ..... but 7.15pm she's pacing and huffing. I reckon they can tell the time too Ed!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I get the reminder every day at 4:30, + or - 10 minutes. It is not dependent on sounds or routine. I have recently had the luxury of afternoon naps (age has its perks :D ) and I know I will not sleep past dinner time.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
The boys start reminding us about an hour before dinner and bean time.

We had a GSD when I was a kid, and every night at 10:00 pm sharp she'd go to the back door for her last potty trip. Turned out, we always watched the same channel for news and when the music played, she knew it was time!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Not to dismiss the radio sound cue but I think Puff has a clock in her stomach -- and also her bladder and colon.

The clock in her stomach is more accurate although it usually runs 5-15 minutes fast. Puff's pee 'N potty times are 6:45 AM, 2 PM, and 10 PM. I'm fairly punctual on the early time but can sometimes be a bit of laggard on the latter two. Miss Puff will remind me by gently licking my hand and, when I glance at the clock, see that we've overdelayed her outside trips.

Puff's suppertime is 5 PM and I can usually count on my hand being licked about 5-15 minutes before that time. My radio is on, set to NPR's evening newscast, 3-5 PM which, as far as I know, doesn't provide distinctive 4:45 or 4:55 daily sound cues. (Interesting; I'll listen and see if there's anything distinctive.)

Many people who attend our Saturday LabFests, 2-3 PM, say that their Labs know when Saturday at 2 PM approaches and start getting excited and wanting their owners to get ready. For some members, Saturdays have a distinctly different activity level compared to work days or church mornings, so their Labs may be getting their cues from those differences as well as relying on their internal clocks.

NPR = National Public Radio, a USA non-profit cooperative of radio stations primarily supported by listener-member contributions and endowments with additional support from commercial & government sources.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to dismiss the radio sound cue but I think Puff has a clock in her stomach -- and also her bladder and colon.

The clock in her stomach is more accurate although it usually runs 5-15 minutes fast. Puff's pee 'N potty times are 6:45 AM, 2 PM, and 10 PM. I'm fairly punctual on the early time but can sometimes be a bit of laggard on the latter two. Miss Puff will remind me by gently licking my hand and, when I glance at the clock, see that we've overdelayed her outside trips.

Puff's suppertime is 5 PM and I can usually count on my hand being licked about 5-15 minutes before that time. My radio is on, set to NPR's evening newscast, 3-5 PM which, as far as I know, doesn't provide distinctive 4:45 or 4:55 daily sound cues. (Interesting; I'll listen and see if there's anything distinctive.)

Many people who attend our Saturday LabFests, 2-3 PM, say that their Labs know when Saturday at 2 PM approaches and start getting excited and wanting their owners to get ready. For some members, Saturdays have a distinctly different activity level compared to work days or church mornings, so their Labs may be getting their cues from those differences as well as relying on their internal clocks.

NPR = National Public Radio, a USA non-profit cooperative of radio stations primarily supported by listener-member contributions and endowments with additional support from commercial & government sources.

BobPr, I am actually very much on your side with the Saturday (in my case weekend routine)

I come downstairs in jeans on the weekend. We also go to the dog park at the river on weekends. When I take HK out on the weekend mornings, she does not poop, weekdays she does. On the weekends she saves that action for the DP. Her whole early morning routine outside is different on the weekend. Then she lays down while I work on the computer and as 8:00 approaches she starts nudging me. When I open the door, she goes straight for the car, no quick pee first which would be the norm. I don't know if she looks at the calendar to see that its the weekend, if its the jeans, or whatever. When I just take a weekday day off, we may or may not go to that DP in the morning. I will certainly be in jeans. But she does her normal weekday routine, not the weekend routine.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
when the music played, she knew it was time!
I would agree with you about that. I work from home, so Lexi has learned over the years the Windows shut-down tone. As soon as she hears that, she starts barking at me & racing around the house.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I would agree with you about that. I work from home, so Lexi has learned over the years the Windows shut-down tone. As soon as she hears that, she starts barking at me & racing around the house.
Forrest and Toby know it, too! As soon as I shut the computer off, it's outside potty and bed time! I turned the sound off once to see what they would do- they didn't move....:D

Lucy

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Isn't it funny how they relate? Rush will wait patiently to be fed but come 5:00 it's time. TV on or off, doesn't matter. We figured she listens for one of our clocks to chime 5. We have several that chime and the first one she listens to it and then starts barking. Keep in mind the clocks gong on every hour so I think she counts.:D:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts