Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I temporarily had apollo on purina one dog food cuz someone donated a bag to us. I am almost done with it and I wanna get him on a good holisitc food. Can someone reccomend some names here of the brand and the food itself and then I'll post a poll to see which one you think would be best for apollo. He is 1yr, 56lb (his weight is PERFECT the vet said) and he gets 2 walks a day, he's not super active. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh! Forgot to add! Apollo will be starting on a half raw/half kibble diet soon, so I really want a good, balanced, holistic kibble to help supplement his new diet. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
No poll necessary, because it really shouldn't matter what we think you should feed. Go to your local feed store, walk around and look at ingredients. Pick one your comfortable with and try it. If it works for your dog, then it's what you should be feeding ;)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Innova EVO has been described as raw food in nugget form. I know people use it successfully in conjunction with a raw diet. As an aside, and you probably know this, it is not recommended that you feed raw and kibble in the same meal.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, no kibble and raw in the same meal.

I was giving him EVO but I stopped cuz someone told me not to feed it to him cuz he's under 18 months of age. Is it ok to feed it to him? Cuz he really liked it and was doing really well on it.

JacksandLabs lol I am TOTALLY overwhelemed with all the dog food choices. There are only like 10 ferret kibbles out there, so it didn't take me long to analyze the ingredients and decide to just feed the ferrets whole prey and raw foods. but with dogs there are sooooo many foods and then there's all this stuff about calcium and LB foods, and of course the recent recalls so its just totally overwhelming. ugh.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
JacksAndLabs said:
No poll necessary, because it really shouldn't matter what we think you should feed. Go to your local feed store, walk around and look at ingredients. Pick one your comfortable with and try it. If it works for your dog, then it's what you should be feeding ;)
I totally agree with this. You'll get nothing but confused if you start polling people about their dog food. One will say ABC is the best because of this and that. The next person will say ABC is not good because of this and that. Here's a link to a pretty complete list of good all-natural dog foods. Just go to their websites and start researching. Find one that YOU like. It doesn't matter what other like.

For example, I feed Sally Nutro. Lots of people say that Nutro is not so good because of whatever....and they are probably right. But she's doing great on it....healthy, great coat. So it's right for HER, but not necessarily for every other dog.

Just remember that a meat or meat meal should be listed first in the ingredients and no animal by products. And I think the rule of thumb is that if you can buy it in a grocery store, then it's probably not the best food.

Good luck. Here's the link:

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/brands4dept.asp?dept%5Fid=130

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks so much. Who would have thought that feeding dogs was more difficult then feeding ferrets!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think if you want something more natural to go along with the raw you should be looking into the high quality and maybe grain free kibbles. Timberwolf Organics, Innova, Solid Gold and Nature's Variety all make grain free kibble. I think any of them would be fantastic alongside raw. Or you could go for something quite the opposite such as California Natural which has few ingredients and a single protein source. A very simple food would also work well with raw.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Trick. I know I've had a hard time trying to find some of these organic foods in local stores. Are they only available on the interent? Anyone know?

Oh and rosie, can apollo have evo or not yet? He's 1 yr old (we think) but possibly a little older.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Oh...good point. I forgot Apollo was only a year old. In that case, I would hold off feeding the EVO just to be on the safe side. I know that Innova make other formulas that might be suitable. Of course, there are also many good foods that do contain high quality grain; Canidae, Eagle Pack, the other Solid Gold and Natures Variety foods.

Thanks Trick. I know I've had a hard time trying to find some of these organic foods in local stores. Are they only available on the interent? Anyone know?
You will probably only find these foods in speciality or privately owned pet stores. The internet is also an option.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have to give LB adult do I? Cuz I know some people said to give lab puppies LB puppy food.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay cool. So I think i'll put him on Innova adult dry dog food and switch to EVO in 6 months. sound good? I can't wait till I get my new job. Then I'll be able to afford a half raw diet for apollo. I'm so excited.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think they will. We've given him a little beef here and there, some soup bones, the occasional organ. He seems to like it and it 'agrees' with his tummy. But we can't give him green beans, I tried that once. He's actually AFRAID of green beans. What isn't he afraid of. ::) lol poor baby

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Innova's Evo--either the red meat formula or original (chicken and turkey). It is what I feed when I can't feed raw.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts