Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS some of you know, Sam and I are moving back to St. Louis, MO in May. We are staying for a year and saving up some cash (for a down payment on house, etc etc) and we are hoping to move to Boulder, CO and buy a small house in April/May 2008.

We are trying to find out if there is a pet limit in the city of Boulder. I know some cities will limit you to like 2 dogs. Or 2 cats. and I've heard horror stories of how people had their animals taken away if they were over the limit.

I tried looking on the chamber of commerce for Boulder and couldn't find if there was a law stating a limit. I wouldn't think that ferrets would be included in the limit (if there is one), but we have 1 dog and 3 cats. Sam would like to add one more dog to our family (once we own our own home) but we want to make sure its legal first. Can anyone help me find out if Boulder, CO has a limit on the number of cats/dogs you can own? even if you own your own home. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow, that is really neat. Since Sam and I have so many animals, we always have to rent our apartments through private renters. But thats is a great resource for people with only 2 animals (the usual limit in commerical apartments).

I dont' understand why some places can limit the number of animals you own. even if you own your own home! I can understnad wanting to make sure you aren't hoarding animals etc etc, but isn't that the responsibility of the owner? I know all my kiddos get top notch care, I just wanna make sure that I'm not getting my heart set on moving to a place that feels the needs to tell me how many pets I can have.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think you are OK on the dogs, cats and ferrets. Here is a section of the City Code:

6-1-3 Limitation on Keeping of Domesticated Animals.
(a) No person shall own or keep a domesticated cat over four months of age unless such cat is currently inoculated against rabies.
(b) No person shall own or keep any swine, hogs, or pigs.
(c) No person shall own or keep any horse, goat, sheep, cow, llama, burro, or other equine or bovine animal unless such person has a total lot area on the lot of one-half acre per animal plus its young under six months of age.
And:
6-1-4 Limitation on Possession of Exotic Animals.
(a) No person shall own or keep any animal for which a state license is required1 unless such person possesses the appropriate license from the Colorado Division of Wildlife.
(b) No person shall place on public display, own, or keep any of the following animals:
(1) Ursids (e.g., bears);
(2) Felids other than ordinary domesticated house cats;
(3) Mustalids other than ferrets (e.g., skunks, weasels, otters or badgers);

Unless I missed something you should be OK. Boulder does have an extensive chapter in the code concerning animals. Here is the link to the chapter:
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1856&Itemid=655

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh you rock! Thanks so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to look that up, you're awesome!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahaha, the ark. LOL yeah thats about right lol. Well we gotta get to ST. Louis, MO first. We move May 8th. I just wanna know where we are going next cuz I hate St. Louis and I'm not thrilled about moving back in the with parents. lol. Sam and I are just thinking of places in CO to go in a year's time and I am responsible for checking all the towns to see if they have pet limits lol. But it looks good so far, I haven't seen any limits.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When Sam and I have kids I want to name our son, Noah. lol wouldn't that be fitting? he doesn't like the name though. I told him that If I gotta carry around a human being inside of my body for 9 months then pop that sucker out then I think I get to decide on the name if I like it lol! j/k I really wish Sam liked the name Noah. Oh well, I am young (just 19) Kids are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the future lol, maybe I can bribe him or something. ;) I still got plenty of time lol!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I really admire you for doing your research early on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. It would really suck to get all the way to boulder and then find out we can't have all our pets lol. When ya have a herd like me you gotta check on these things in advance lol (boy do I feel like a crazy animal lady!)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Boulder's a great place....I would go stir crazy wanting to go NOW. :) We just got a house in the "country" in the county limits outside Colorado Springs....and we have a 4 dog limit. We even have over 1/2 acre but still the pet limit.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the pet limit is something that worried me. Cuz like is the pet limit JUST for cats and dogs, or does it include ferrets too? ya know? I'm almost positive boulder doesn't have a limit, but I'm still gunna reseach before we move just to be safe.

Oh and yeah....i am going stir crazy wanting to go now lol! I'm sure I'll be even more stir crazy after I actually move back home and back in with my parents! lol ;) I'm gunna go nuts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts