Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me explain my ignorance to them.
In N.Z. most people have never seen a gun. We have very strict rules on guns. Our police don't carry guns. The armed defenders carry limited weapons in speically locked boxes.
We are allowed limited hunting rifles, which must be locked away and the bolt and key in different places. We have to have a permit and the police check to make sure.
There are illegal guns and the penalties are huge if you are caught.

I saw in the news one in four people in the U.S. have guns and children under 12 can get them.

Do you own a gun. (Other than a hunting one)
Why do you own one.
I also guess it is debated in the U.S. as to what age and who should own a gun.
I am in no way judging any other countries laws. Of course you couldn't expect to have the laws we have, but would tougher laws help prevent shootings.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
1. Yes - multiple
2. Hunting, trap, skeet
I have also inherited several WWII guns (a Luger and a Car 98) and what was called a Ladies purse gun that my great grandmother carried when she went to college.
3. I don't think people under 12 in the states can get them. In Missouri, you have to be 16 or 18 to purchase and possess legally- you can fire them under the supervision of an adult at any age, though.
4. Not touching the gun control question- sorry :)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
One thing that always gets me, is at the border crossing I've been to a few times here. You see the Canadian border patrol with nadda, and not 10 feet away, there's the American patrol with full out arms. Blows my mind. Haha.

Here's a brief explanation of our Canadian gun laws.
http://ont.bankruptcycanada.com/gunlaws.htm

Oh. I didn't answer your question.
No I don't own a gun. But my Dad does. It's registered, and it's a hunting rifle. I don't think he's actually used it in about 10 years, but it is still registered.
IMO, the legal drinking age should also be the legal age to own a gun. Not saying it would prevent horrible things happening, but it can't hurt. That's my opinion anyways.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am interested and know I can get honesty in here.(As in 12 year olds having guns. Media have a lot to answer to.) But in doing so I am wondering if this is the dumbest post I ever wrote and might stir up things left alone.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Federal laws requires you to be 18 to by a rifle or shotgun and 21 to buy a handgun. Ammo that can also be used in a handgun you also have to be 18 to buy it.

Yes I have quite a few guns, I hunt, I use them for historical ren-actment, I target shoot I shoot for fun and I also own a couple that are for self defense although all could be used if needed.

Anyone wanting to commit mass murder can find a way, there are far better things to use for that than a firearm, jet plains and trucks filled with fuel and fertalizer come to mind. My big pick-up truck could take far more out in less time than the creep this week did.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
There are no guns in our home. We have 4 kids and it's just too risky. I've heard too many horror stories.
I also wouldn't consider having a pool until my youngest (4) is a strong swimmer either. There are just
so many dangers out there that we parents have NO control over. I try to avoid the ones that I CAN control.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I just asked SU. He has six guns (three rifles and three pistols). I've never even seen them. I think he inherited four of them from his grandpa and he bought two just to have.

·
Registered
479 Posts
1. Yes, numerous.

2. My husband is a retired Police Officer, he and our sons hunt, we sport shoot and I have a CCW permit.

Our boys took firearm safety classes beginning at age 8 and recertified each year until they were 18. Our guns are kept in a gun safe with safety latches on the hand guns and the long guns kept in the gun safe in locked gun cases.

Nothing is fool proof but I believe we have been very responsible as well as cautious.

Won't touch the gun control subject with a 10 foot pole.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Can I ask questions about guns. Ignore this thread.

Guys I am really sorry. I don't think this is the time or place.
I have made a major stuff up with this post and can't remove it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Chris, no apology. I guess when you live half way around the world and societies are different, questions will always be asked. The internet makes it easier to be able to ask these questions. I was going to respond, but will now bow out of the topic for you.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Guys I am really sorry. I don't think this is the time or place.
I have made a major stuff up with this post and can't remove it.
You shouldn't be sorry for asking a question or having an opinion. I'll stick my ass on the line and say that I think allowing anyone to own a firearm is nuts. I don't understand the whole "gun for protection" thing at all. The whole of Europe, Australasia, etc., manages not to rely on them so I don't understand the obsession in the USA. I think what happened in Virginia was a terrible tragedy but it makes you wonder how many deaths could be prevented if guns weren't legal. Fire away.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
if guns were illegal, like drugs, someone would be bringing them into the country and selling them to people who shouldn't have them on the street corners. just like they do now.

i come from a family of hunters and my mom always worked a gov't job that required her to carry a gun at all times (parole officer and later a social worker in a prison) and have always been around rifles and guns. but they were always locked up and i learned at an early age how to use, handle, and act around a loaded rifle. i never had any intentions of getting any guns out of the cabinet unless i had a parent with me and i knew if i asked to shoot the gun, my mom would take me to a safe shooting range and shoot my heart out. children around the area are constantly killed by guns because their parents don't have them stored somewhere safe. most accidents happen because someone leaves a gun in their nightstand, which cannot be locked.

to answer your questions:
1 and 2. my husband and i are in the process of buying a gun but only for home protection and we have a safe to keep it in until it's time is ever needed. we don't have children, nor will we have them so that will not be an issue in our home
3. who should own a gun- people who are responsible normally go through the proper steps in obtaining a gun but the ones who shouldn't have them can find them quite easily on the streets. some of us feel we need guns to protect us from the ones who have them illegally.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I'll stick my ass on the line and say that I think allowing anyone to own a firearm is nuts.
If you don't see a reason to have a gun, then by all means, you have no business owning one. That does not apply to every person in the world. People that own them for no good reason, or have no idea how to properly use and store them...thats where things get dangerous.

Do you own a gun. (Other than a hunting one) Other than several hunting ones, no.
Why do you own one. We have about 8, my husband is an avid hunter

Our pastor sent out an email this week that had this little piece in it:
I hear our society doing what we do well - not only placing blame but also
rapidly proposing radical change to policies, laws, rules, and regulations.
Of course that has brought a backlash. I also hear those who want to
resurrect long time arguments on gun-control and the treatment of
emotionally ill people for purely political reason. In all this we will do
the usual - we will lose the real issue of injury, death, grief, and
lostness in the rhetoric and debate.

Me? I ask not where is God but where are God's people? Or, where were we 15
years ago when this young man began his journey of horror? Where were God's
people as this young man struggled? Where is God? He is alive and well in
us, the followers of Jesus, and where we are He is. This is not a call to
politics and prognosticating. This is a call to love! What needs to change?
Us.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
if guns were illegal, like drugs, someone would be bringing them into the country and selling them to people who shouldn't have them on the street corners. just like they do now
Sure, but I don't think that anyone can deny that making them illegal would cut down on gun related crime.

People that own them for no good reason, or have no idea how to properly use and store them...thats where things get dangerous.
I agree...and this is what should change.

G

·
We don't own any guns, hunting or otherwise.

I don't have a problem with responsible adults owning them.....but they are far too available to many people who should not be permitted to own them under any circumstance.

I think that there are better ways to protect your home than to own a gun (and my several immediate relatives in law enforcement totally agree with that).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I hear our society doing what we do well - not only placing blame but also
rapidly proposing radical change to policies, laws, rules, and regulations.
Of course that has brought a backlash. I also hear those who want to
resurrect long time arguments on gun-control and the treatment of
emotionally ill people for purely political reason. In all this we will do
the usual - we will lose the real issue of injury, death, grief, and
lostness in the rhetoric and debate.

Me? I ask not where is God but where are God's people? Or, where were we 15
years ago when this young man began his journey of horror? Where were God's
people as this young man struggled? Where is God? He is alive and well in
us, the followers of Jesus, and where we are He is. This is not a call to
politics and prognosticating. This is a call to love! What needs to change?
Us.
Very well said!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yes, we have many different types of guns. Guns are kept in a lock gun cabinet. They are used mainly for target, but we do use them for wild animals on the property such as coyotes, etc. In the Army Matt has had so much training and is a sharp shooter. SU was in Vietnam.

No, I do not think all people should have guns ... but I do not know how we as a country would every have a gun control.

G

·
I know you have to be 18 to buy a shot gun and rifle, I BELIEVE DONT HOLD ME TO IT.

Cody has a Glock that he just got a couple of months ago. The crime in our City is awful. And women being raped are even worse.

We have a loaded shot gun in the closet the Glock is loaded as well still in its case and we have a 357 that is load as well. Cody travels a lot I am home alone.

I will be getting a smaller Glock for me and I will also be getting my permit to carry it in the car with me. Cody is waiting for them to finish the check and he will have his permit.

I like the idea of how you guys have very strict laws with guns. I wish the US was more like that.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts