Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I always know when one of my three have misbehaved!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Well, of course if you get mad at a dog and yell at it or talk angry to it, it's going to look 'guilty' because it will feel bad that you are mad at it. Any dog will feel bad and react when yelled at, whether they did anything wrong or not.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
If I walk in my front door and the three dogs don't coming running to see me, I know something in the family room has been reduced to rubble. Every time, without fail.

If they don't grasp the fact that they have done something wrong, why the different greeting? I don't know walking in the door that something has been destroyed so my reaction to seeing them won't be any different than it always is, and yet no dogs at the front door means they are sitting under the kitchen table looking nervous.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I think this was another case of someone wasting money on a study. I'm guessing who ever did the study never had dogs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
If I walk in my front door and the three dogs don't coming running to see me, I know something in the family room has been reduced to rubble. Every time, without fail.

If they don't grasp the fact that they have done something wrong, why the different greeting? I don't know walking in the door that something has been destroyed so my reaction to seeing them won't be any different than it always is, and yet no dogs at the front door means they are sitting under the kitchen table looking nervous.
Angus does this too. Mind you, he's never destroyed anything (knock wood!!) but if he's been sucking on dirty sock from the laundry and he hears one of us coming, he puts the sock back & runs to sit by his crate with *that face*.

All I have to say is "what... did... you... do?" in a stern voice, and if he didn't do anything, he cocks his head & pricks his ears like "what? What did I do?". But if he DID do something, the head goes down & the eyes look oh-so guilty and the face says "I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself".

Oh, they know.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Same here, and it's always the dog that did something wrong that isn't at the door!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I had a collie/lab cross who not only had the most obviously guilty look - but would self punish.

When we lived in an apartment we had her and if she was bad I sent her to the bathroom to think things over. She eventually did it on her own. I would come home and find her sitting in there, smiling from ear to ear and staring at the floor - so I would have to go and look for her misdeed - which was usually not much at all.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts

I agree, they do know when they do something wrong. That's different than what they did in this 'test.' You were not reacting at all. But this test had people get mad at their dogs for not doing anything, and the dogs reacted to the anger. I know when we holler at Champ for counter surfing, Buddy will run into his crate, when he wasn't even in the same room! When you get mad at a dog, they know the signs and the tone of voice and will slink down, show signs of 'feeling bad,' even when they are innocent. The test subjects were saying the reaction to their anger was proof of guilt, when in fact it was not.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I don't know if they know what guilt is, but I do believe they have a "guilty look"

Zoe is 99.99% good about touching our things or getting at stuff that is not hers.

One day, we were sitting in the hallway, and she was on the runner. the runner had a little "knob" sticking out...perfect for pulling and shredding...which she started to do.

I immediately said, "who did this?" and pointed to the area. She slinked away w/the guilty look.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Teddy is guilty for everyone. When one of the Bostons pees or poops on the floor (and obviously, it is a small dog poo) he will act very guilty and slink around, even though he obviously did not do it! I ask him if he is a good dog and he will toss his head back (classic ZOMG I AM SO SORRY mode). You could yell at Emily all day long and she will never act guilty or feel remorse. Ivy does a little bit, but not much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts