Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today Gordon has had a lot of drainage from his left eye (which is not normal for him at all) and the eye and eyelid look red. He went to playgroup on Tues and I had noticed a dog there who had an eye that looked the same as what his looks like today. At the time I didn't think much of it b/c the owner said the dog is older and had a couple of minor health problems but now I am wondering.

He seems in good spirits and his appetite is fine...in fact he ate everything tonight which usually he does not do.

Thanks,

Joanne

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Considering pink eye is "just" an eye infection, I'd think dogs could get it. It's posisble, tho, that both the dog at day care and Gordon are reacting to something in the environment- pollen, dust, etc.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Yes, it's called conjunctivitis. Call the vet and bring the dog in. They'll give you the right meds.
Yup, they absolutely can... my Lexi has had it. A trip the vet, some meds & she was on the recovery road.

Oh yes, and they can share it with you so make sure you do lots of handwashing.
Nicole, I asked this question since I was concerned that I was treating Lexi & whether I could inadvertently get it. My vet said, it was possible, but unlikely & they'd never had any pet parent develop pink eye from treating their dog for it. :confused:

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Yes and I got it from Nellie so we were on the same meds.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Yes-- a couple of my pups from my fall litter got it between 8-12 wks. I always keep a bottle of Similason (sp?) homeopathic stuff here for both me and my dogs! The wind and dust (and puppy play, etc) helps establish those infections. The drops will clear it right up if you catch it quickly.

Walmart carries it. Anne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts