Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Animal Planet and I saw a dog that had a blood transfusion, which made me wonder.....where did the blood come from? Can dogs donate blood to vet hospitals just like people donate blood?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Yes they can. Some kennel clubs have a blood drive and so do some animal hospitals.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm....I'd have apollo donate blood, but I kinda feel that if I can't do it myself, would it really be fair to make him do it? what do you all think?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Most Labs don't have universal blood properties. I had all of mine tested and none of them were universal donors. There is criteria such as age and health. While its nice to think about doing, I wouldn't lose sleep over it if you decide not to.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I guess I'll test apollo next month when we move and if he IS a universal donor, we'll go from there. If not, problem solved lol.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I haven't had my two donate but our first Lab, Lucy was given blood during her surgery. The donor was a Lab the vet owned. I think I'll check into donation - it would be a great gift to another owner.

·
Registered
501 Posts
At our clinic - most of the vets and staff have their personal dogs checked to determine who can be a donor. For cats - most of the clinics we work with have a few cats that live there and are "on staff" as blood donors. If the cat ends up having temperament issues with being a donor or when it becomes too old - one the staff usually adopts it or a client adopts it and the clinic will later adopt another cat to fill the position.

·
Registered
271 Posts
We have a blood bank over here.
My vets suggest drawing your dog's own blood and having it stored at a blood bank, in case of need.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paola said:
We have a blood bank over here.
My vets suggest drawing your dog's own blood and having it stored at a blood bank, in case of need.
something to certainly consider. I'd also like to help out another owner in need if apollo's blood would work.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My GSD Riot is a universal donor dog. Myself and 3 other Techs have dogs that donate blood on a rotating basis. We go through a lot of blood at the Emergency Service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts