Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired (and scared) of all this recall B.S. Can somebody recommend a top quality, healthy, wheat/corn/rice-free dog food? Please? I don't care about the cost, so that is not a factor. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I have had amazing results with TLC.

It does have some wheat and brewers rice in it, but TLC is a small, private company, and doesn't buy from the same suppliers as the "big guns"

My breeder feeds it from day one, has for years and years and years. The only health problem her pups have had in 20 YEARS is one puppy being diagnosed with gr. 1 hip dysplasia. (I think that's due to a lot more than just diet, but I'm sure it helps!)

You can only get it by ordering over the internet, though, which is a bit of a pain, but I've noticed a huge change in peanut since she's been on it (small poops, more energy, coat that absolutely GLEAMS)

It's also highly concentrated, so you only feed 1 cup per 20 lbs of body weight. (little more if feeding a puppy) it really encourages slow growth.

I wanted high quality holistic, and I won't feed raw (I feel that it's over-the-top, dangerous in many ways, and my dog/s wouldn't be allowed to work as a therapy dog if I fed raw) Anyways, TLC is the way to go for me!

http://tlcpetfood.com/
Best of luck!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Orijen

Hard to find, but there is a palce in Florida that ships it and now a place in NJ just started carrying it.

My pup has been on it for about 1 month and do awesome!

It is based in Canada. They have a large breed formula as well.

How old is your pup?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use Canidae for Grace and have been very impressed with how she has improved since the switch about 2 years ago from Science Diet. I use the All life Stages formula, there is rice, but all of their ingredients are of US origin, they do not use any product imported from China or other countries. There is no corn, wheat, soy, beet pulp or other fillers and they do not use any form of grain glutens in their foods.

www.canidae.com

I googled grain free dog food and here is a page that came up listing about 16 products. I only checked out this one link, so you may want to do some more research.

http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/search.aspx?searchterms=grain-free-dog-food

Good luck! I hope you find what you are looking for!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My pup is 5 months old. I looked at Orijen on the dog food analysis and they gave it very high ratings, but did say it was not suitable for puppies. Crap!

·
Registered
703 Posts
The company makes a large breed formula with the correct calcium and phosphorous levels for a large breed pup. It still has high protein but there is no proof that affects growth. I started using it at 12.5 months (large breed) and just switched at 14 months to the adult formula per their recommedation when I emailed and called them.

Many will say it has too much protein ITO, but I have not seen any studies saying it has any affect on growth. Plus, I know my pup is trim and has great hips and elbows according to pennhip and OFA.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Repeat--- Buy a food that has HUMAN GRADE INGREDIENTS. This panic over dog food is something else! All you need to do is buy food that has had the ingredients inspected as human grade and you are fine. Canidae is one. There are many good foods out there. Look in the holistic/natural aisle. It's not the RICE per se, that is being recalled either-- it's the stuff they spray on it to "enrich" it (just like you probably have in your own kitchen cupboard) that was found to contain the melamine from China.

As for puppies, one that I'm going to look into is Innova Lg Breed Puppy. It has the same low Ca/P levels as Euk LBP but much better ingredients (which are more consistent w/ Canidae, that I feed my adults). Some of the other good LBP formulas have way too high of Ca/P for my lines so I am really careful... I want nice even growth, no (v. little) knuckling. Canidae was too high in Ca/P for my pups (and a few other breeders that have tried it), unfortunately, so I went back to Euk LBP as it's available locally.
-Anne

·
Registered
557 Posts
birdbrainz said:
Repeat--- Buy a food that has HUMAN GRADE INGREDIENTS. This panic over dog food is something else! All you need to do is buy food that has had the ingredients inspected as human grade and you are fine. Canidae is one. There are many good foods out there. Look in the holistic/natural aisle. It's not the RICE per se, that is being recalled either-- it's the stuff they spray on it to "enrich" it (just like you probably have in your own kitchen cupboard) that was found to contain the melamine from China.

As for puppies, one that I'm going to look into is Innova Lg Breed Puppy. It has the same low Ca/P levels as Euk LBP but much better ingredients (which are more consistent w/ Canidae, that I feed my adults). Some of the other good LBP formulas have way too high of Ca/P for my lines so I am really careful... I want nice even growth, no (v. little) knuckling. Canidae was too high in Ca/P for my pups (and a few other breeders that have tried it), unfortunately, so I went back to Euk LBP as it's available locally.
-Anne
I was also going to say Innova Lg breed puppy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Orijen definitely makes large breed puppy food www.championpetfoods.com Its high protein, low carb and zero grain, 70% vet inspected meats, chicken, northern white fish, eggs, regional fruits and veggies, native botanical, and salmon, flax and chicken and sunflower oils. Have used it and totally recommend it. If you can find it in the states! Its made about 1 hour from me and from what I gather is just starting to be exported to the USA.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
birdbrainz said:

-Anne
Isn't Natural Balance one of these foods, but now the venison formula has been recalled?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I can only speak for Canidae, which I feed. Canidae only uses human grade ingredients and from what I've been told and have read, all ingredients are of US origin... none of this Chinese stuff. And it doesn't contain the glutens or rice protein that are being discussed here.

I know nothing more about Natural Balance that what their website says. I have found no reference to it being human grade-- all it says is it is an "all natural" product w/ no artificial colors or dyes. That does NOT imply to me that the ingredients are human grade, just that they haven't added anything artificial.

I sure hope when the dust settles, dog food makers will be required to explain all these terms to people. In the meantime, it's everyone for themselves. -Anne

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Derf said:
Isn't Natural Balance one of these foods, but now the venison formula has been recalled?
Oh, and to further confuse this issue, from what I was told on another chat list, this NB formula had recently been changed to include the rice protein, but under dog food labelling laws, they were exempt from having to change the label for 6 mos. There are going to be some heads roll on that one, esp if it got into the hog feed supply... -Anne

·
Registered
137 Posts
birdbrainz said:
I sure hope when the dust settles, dog food makers will be required to explain all these terms to people. In the meantime, it's everyone for themselves. -Anne
I wish!

I have recently found out that "human grade" doesn't mean nearly what I thought it did. I'd been assuming it was something that I would actually eat - it does not. "Human grade" means only that animals from that farm are approved for human consumption and are slaughtered and processed in facilities approved for making human food. However, "human grade" means nothing about which bits of the animal are put into the pet food (by-products are fair game!) or about how the animal product is handled after it leaves that facility.

In addition, "human grade" ONLY refers to the meat in a pet food. Fruits, veggies, and grains have NO such regulation or labeling. So even with a "human grade" pet food, everything but the meat itself can be total crap and it can still advertise as human grade.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Now wait a second... JackieG, just to forewarn you, I work in the WA fruit industry :) Do you work in the meat industry?

I am assured that there are very HIGH STANDARDS for what gets processed into human food. I have seen load after load of apples, for instance, be hauled to the dump when it didn't comply to our USDA standards for quality for one reason or another. I do insurance loss investigations as part of my profession, so work closely w/ these folks. Anything which causes a product to be unsafe for human consumption is kicked out of the food chain here in the USA (that would include cattle/pig feed etc that would still be part of our food chain, but NOT pets). I have also worked in a limited fashion w/ the veggie inspection service-- same thing. Human grade is human grade. I've had to order some pretty extensive testing done on apples, for instance, that had been exposed to smoke (building fire nearby)-- concern for carcinogens. Ammonia leaks in refrigeration units is another issue that happens occasionally. Even the juice processors need to have those certifications before using the product for juice.

The same goes in meat inspections. I just made a not-so-quick phone call here to a friend (also Lab competitor, which is why it was not so quick!) who IS a USDA employee/inspector to be sure I wasn't speaking out of turn. As for "by-products", he said to "think hot dogs" as being the lower standard for human grade-- there may be some "parts" in those that we may not think too fondly of either. ;) Anything that is substandard to that, is graded such because it poses a potential health threat, cannot be labelled as human grade (it doesn't mean it can't go to "conventional" pet food though).

Our USDA inspectors inspect all meat, fruit, and veggies (and I'm pretty sure grains, etc, also) that are processed for human consumption. My friend has specifically inspected meats for Canidae-- he has told me so on several occasions as he knows what I feed. Though the meats may not be quite the quality that *he* would buy in the supermarket for himself, they must meet a minimum set of specs (think hot dogs again!) which means they are SAFE and fit for human consumption and were processed under those standards required for human consumption (safe handling procedures, cleanliness, etc). I'd be willing to bet that HE would buy some fruit that *I* would not buy though too, LOL. (When working in specific areas, we tend to become a bit snobbish on our tastes. ;) Kind of like wine... oop, now I digress.). So I do beg of you, if you have proof, I'd love to hear more, but if it's hearsay, let's not and say we did... I had a friend who says she got a sour smelling bag of dog food the other day, and now it's causing me to do the sniff test too. I just hope it'll soon end. -Anne

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
BrownDog20 said:
If anyone here does feed Innova LBP, does $46/bag sound about right??? The one place (40+ miles away) that carries it quoted me that. I find it a little hard to believe that it's $15 more than Canidae, but maybe it is! -Anne

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just bought a 40lb bag yesterday of Innova LBP and it was about $45 so yea I guess that is right. I get my dogs food from a specialty pet store. its called precious pet cottage. They are kind of on the expensive side though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
BrownDog20 said:
birdbrainz said:

-Anne
This what I feed my pup and she is 11 weeks old. She gains about 3 lbs a week right now and still looks trim. Coat is very shiny too...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts