Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're doing a girls + dogs camping weekend the first weekend of Sept.. I'm going to try and borrow a tent from someone, but if i were to find something for sale used or on sale..what should i be looking for?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Kelli, look for one with expandable poles that make the dome shaped tent. They are the easiest to set up. Nothing like fighting with poles to put it together.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Wish you were closer - we have a nice Cabela's tent just going to waste.
Get one with a fly ( a separate piece that fits over the tent). Windows for ventilation.
How many times will you use it?? We bought a cheapy at Kmart/WalMart for $30 years ago. It lasted through one season and got leaky but it didn't have a fly.

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
Kelli you're going to have a pretty heavy dew in September - double recommend the fly to keep the moisture from making the tent walls stick together.

Are you going to a camp ground or prov park?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
My favorite 3 season tent is a Eureka Tetragon 9. It's a very easy to set up dome which is 9foot by 9 foot. With a tall enough center to stand up in. It handles two dogs and two adults nicely. I've had mine for 3 years and it has weathered some nasty crap mother nature threw my way. I think they are around 125 beans USD.

Tip: buy an air matress and hand pump. I have a queen and a single(for the dogs)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kelli you're going to have a pretty heavy dew in September - double recommend the fly to keep the moisture from making the tent walls stick together.

Are you going to a camp ground or prov park?
A friend of mine has a bunch of undeveloped property with a large river running right through it..

I'm a big fan of camping though.. i don't do it nearly enough.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know.. she'll be ready to go by then.. we also have a Dane with us and a husky mix that loves to swim. =)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree, a dome tent with flexible poles. Adequate ventilation with zip up windows and entry way. Air mattress. Big enough so you can have company if it's raining.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Uh, skip the tent/camper and go to the Hilton, Howard Johnsons or Motel six, they'll keep the light on for ya.:D:D
I love camping but my DH thinks a hotel is camping.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Camp chair with a drink holder! :)

Bring a big tarp and lots of twine too - if its going to rain you can tarp off an area to sit under / eat in / etc.... Or hope someone brings a screen/dining tent.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Ditto what everyone else said and I put my ground cloth inside the tent, so that if it rains, the water can't run between the tent bottom and the cloth. I'm going tenting this weekend at my parents camp on the Allegheny River. Can't wait. I hope you have a lot of fun!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree... Dome tent with a fly and an air mattress. I set my tent up on a tarp so the tent isn't directly on the ground. And I place an old piece of carpet outside the door to keep less dirt from being tracked in. Bring plenty of towels, especially with dogs. Folding chairs with cup holders are wonderful.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Ditto the dome tent w/fly, and the camp chair with cup holder. A good air mattress will make all the difference in sleeping; get one with a foot pump.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Buy a tent rated to sleep at least one or two more "people" than are actually going to be sleeping in the tent. Especially if the dogs will be in there with you. Tents get cramped real fast and the extra space is nice for gear as well. I love my Coleman 3 season dome tent. Super easy to set up, take down, and has kept me dry so far.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
No tent advice. (I don't do tent camping.) But remember the insect repellent!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts