Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to future shop over the weekend to look at camcorders. Ours is 10 years old and the battery is fried. So we thought of looking at a new one. Well we were looking at the mini DV ones. IT's all we could really afford right now. Well the guy behind the counter was telling us that even though the one we were looking at was 400 less then a Hard drive one we would spend that much on tapes as you can't tape over the Dv's and that you need to buy exspenive hardware to download it on to the computer as with the HD one you don't need it. he said that we would be spending aleat $300 more when we buy the cheaper on. I know nothing about this but he really sounded like he was playing with us. can anyone tell me if he's right. thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
only know that woot has one on sale today. I really would west the money for the Hdd one. The tapes are really not that expensive I think I got two of them for our Sony for about 10-15.00. Most of them now support being hooked to the PC so can just thrasher them to your HDD and go from there. We ended up with the Sony and it does take good movies but honestly we never use it that much so could have waited longer for one if needed. But I would say save the money and use tapes just be certain it can be connected to a home PC. I think ours was around 300 at a outlet mall when we got it over a year ago. I think I have used it 3 times. Let me know if you want I can get you the model number I just don't have it here

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I got a Sony DVD Handycam in December. You can get RW DVD's for it. They are more but you can resuse them. Ours was about $460.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We just bought the Canon HV10 from Costco. Love it. Very easy to use. Tapes are relatively cheap - I bought 2 from Target yesterday for $10. It's very small and easy to handle. The buttons are intuitively placed. It takes still photos, if you want it to do that. Best of all, you can record your videos in HD (if you have an HDTV) or Standard (if you have a standard TV). But, I haven't yet tried to hook it up to my computer, so I don't know what that entails.

HV10 on Costco.com (where we bought it)
HV10 on Amazon.com (has about 20 user reviews)

Caveat: If you get this one, you will want to buy the larger batter pack (the BP-315) as the one that comes with the camcorder just doesn't have enough capacity. Also, it doesn't come with any tapes, so don't expect to pop it out of the box and begin recording right away.

Anyway, I highly recommend this camcorder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts