Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make some banana bread from BF's mom and it calls for "oleo." Is this different from crisco? ??? I looked in the grocery stores around here but can't find it. Would it be in the refrigerated part of the grocery store? HELP!

G

·
My mom calls it oleo.. everything she rights down that has butter in it is written oleo not butter.. It drives me crazy!!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So regular old butter it is, then, huh? I'm excited now to try this recipe AGAIN! I messed it up last night :-[

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Oleomargerine is the original term for margerine. It got shortened to either oleo or margerine. In the last 50 or so years the term margerine won out.

Any recipe that calls for margerine by any name will be made better by using butter instead at the same volume. Margerine is a baking recipe means the stick stuff, soft spread in mad soft by hydroginizing it with more water.

If changeng from lard to veggie shortening in a recipe add 1/3 more to change from lard to shortening, deduct 1/3 when changing from shortening to lard.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If changeng from lard to veggie shortening in a recipe add 1/3 more to change from lard to shortening, deduct 1/3 when changing from shortening to lard.
Forgive me for being confused! :-[ Okay, so the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of OLEO. Do I use 1/2 cup of butter?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
yep, stick butter and stick margerine interchange on a 1-1 basis.

(Hint, often in most recipes close is really good enough, ask any one who has ever eaten at one of my portable outdoor cooking sessions, I carry no measurin' devices, it just takes a practiced eye and a willingness to let the modern make it exact mentality out of your mind, few items need to be exact. Check out a dozen or so recipe books and check something simple like white bread, most have more than one and seldome will you find two exact.) ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts