Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to see this section remain empty. If this is going to be home, lets get started and introduce ourselves here. I am not a raw feeder (only in my dreams), but I do feed a low-carbohydrate food, which I believe would be more "natural" for dogs. I feed Skippy and Emilu Innova Evo Large Bites and they are doing great on it - nice coats, nice poops, etc. So anyone feeding or interested in feeding RAW - lets get this section started :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great idea! I love high protein, grain free kibbles for a healthier alternative for our beloved pets. Casey has been fed the raw diet for about 2 months now and she LOVES her food. Raw feeding is wonderful in my opinion.

-Rebecca

·
Registered
683 Posts
This time round I've rawfed Luna since april.

Last time I rawfed, it was for about 2 years.

This time I think we've found a perfect solution, and she's losing weight as planned.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I've been feeding raw to my guys for just one year, in April.... glad I made the switch. It's not as hard or as expensive as I once thought.

Melissa

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Ender has been all RAW for most of his 3 years... the first year we did a lot of juggling around with different kibbles and stuff and his system just couldn't take them... so we finally switched to RAW (I can't remember how old he was at the time... maybe 6-9 months old?) and he's been happy and healthy ever since.

Since he was staying with me, we did try a kibble... Wellness CORE (GRAIN FREE)... which he has done really well on (solid good poop). He does half RAW, half kibble at the moment.

Eric and I were really glad to finally find a kibble he could go on in case he needed to (like if he was staying for an extended time with someone who couldn't feed RAW or for traveling etc.)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
My crew eats a combination of Innova Evo Large Bites (usually Chicken) and Raw foods usually Liver, Hearts & Gizzards (which are Magnum's very favorite!!) Chicken thighs, Jack Mackral, Sardines, Natur's Variety patties.

I do not feed bones. I've not been successful doing it (unless they are ground up as in the Natur's Variety patties) Ruger consistantly throws up bones so I won't feed them as part of his diet.

I supplement with Glucosamine/Condrotin/MSM & feed a lot of green beans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My boys have been raw fed for just over 1 year now. I'm so glad I made the switch. They have all lost weight and 2 of them are just about at their "goal" weights. Hunter has lost 18 lbs. over the past year. Yogi has dropped 11. Chance - well, he's only dropped 5. I'm not sure why his weight loss hasn't been as large as his brothers. I've cut his food down quite a bit, but I'm afraid to go lower - I don't want to starve him.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Hiya everybody! :)

Our one year anniversary of raw feeding is February 23rd, so we're almost at a full year! Woot!!

SOOO never going back. :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've been feeding raw for about twelve years now. Hah, I'm one of the old Billinghurst-ites but I've progressed to more of a prey model type of diet. Raised lots of litters and puppies on it with outstanding results.;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Piper started eating raw last summer sometime. She never much cared for kibble, though she did eventually eat and like Taste of the Wild, which is grain-free. She did better on grain-free than on regular kibble, and better yet on raw.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Blu has been eating raw for 2 yrs now. Most of the time I make it up my self and some times I use NV raw. The rest of the dogs eat Taste of the wild with turkey necks a few times a week.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My family came to stay for a visit during Thanksgiving.... they have a 1 yr old Dachshund , and he was a very picky eater.... they wasted so much money buying canned and dry food for him.. well when they arrived here, after a 7 hour drive, they said they didn't bring any food for him,they would go out to a store and buy him something..... well, it was getting late in the afternoon, and they weren't about to go 12 miles to the nearest store..... so I said, I have plenty of chicken necks ! We offered him the neck, he sniffed..... Mom said, "he won't eat that thing".... then he licked on it, then he began crunching it down ! He licked his chops !! My Mom was so surprised.... she said that's the most he's ever eaten ! Well, he learned the routine here, in a day or so... he sat patiently on the kitchen rug while I got the meals ready for the dogs..... and he chowed down just like the big guys ! He has stayed on the raw... and he looks forward to meals now, she said he sits on their kitchen rug in front of the sink, just like he did here, waiting for his meal !

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been feeding both dogs (Cooper who is 2 and Brooke is 1) raw for about two months now, but if there are any fruits or veggies involved they won't eat? Any suggestions. I have been buying ground meat with organs and bones included. Also, Cooper keeps losing weight, he is already too skinny, should I just feed him as much as possible for now until he gaines some weight? I am feeding him between 2 - 3 pounds of meat a day. I run the dogs every day and they go to work with my husband and do quite a bit of exploring too.

Thanks
Kathy

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Hi Kathy, where do you get the mixture you're feeding the dogs? Is it a pre-made raw product?

If not I would worry that your ratios are off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I buy it from a pet/grooming store, it is made locally. It is pre ground and frozen and then cut into 1 pound blocks. Maybe I should weigh the blocks just to make sure. Are there any additives that I can add to help him gain weight? He can't eat kibble or canned (he has megaesophagus) and I think they are too high in fat, he just throws it up later at night. This is why I initially turned to raw.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Feed him more, it is simple mathematics :)
You could look to richer protein sources such as lamb or duck as they will pack more calories in a pound.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
*bumping to get the 'crap' out of view of the main index page*

·
Registered
683 Posts
I dont feed veggies or fruit. Only meat and bones.

I did feed veggies and fruit in the first time round. But this time, I've got a plan made by a food adviser.

Luna thrives, we still need to get a bit more weight of, but I think that will come by it self, as we start waterwalking now, and I might even try to persuade her to short bikerides.

I DO however have to take her hip and elbow in consideration..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts