Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom is too young to tell me anything and we are watching THE DOORS right now and I just wanted to know what it was really like back then. I am the biggiest hippie you would meet in this day in time. My mom says I am a born again hippie that is learning the ropes if that makes sense.

I want to hear your stories?? My mom can not tell me anything as she is only 10 years old around this time. Jimi Janis and Jim Morrision are my favorite people. Can some one tell me something about this time ?? I was just thinking that based in my personality I am very much like these three people, and I would like to learn more?? (I hate to say it but I have been drinking) So please do not hold anything against me please..

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Yup, that's me. You can't see the leather strand around my neck and left wrist. Hard to imagine a retired Army colonel like this, huh? ;D

I was never a Doors fan, though. Hendrix, Santana, Deep Purple, Steppenwolf, CSN and later CSN&Y followed by Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull and the Almond Brothers thrown in with a little Country Joe and the Fish, and some Jefferson Airplane did it for me.

As a senior in HS I volunteered for the first progressive rock FM radio station in our area. They sponsored a series of concerts and I got to work security. Got to party backstage with Todd Rundgren and band right after their transition to hard rock, spent 10 minutes in one on one conversation before a concert with Bonnie Raitt (and fell instantly in love..or lust), and worked front stage for Deep Purple and Billy Preston (nothing like hearing Smoke on the Water standing 5 feet in front of the stage :eek:)

Those were the days! Oh, and I never inhaled. ::)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Wow, Mark! You have a couple of years on me, but you hit on some of my favorite bands. I can't believe you mentioned Country Joe and the Fish.

I was just coming into the music scene at around 1970. I had older siblings who certainly influenced my taste in music. I still have original vinyl of the Doors including 2 releases after Jim Morrisons death (Full Circle ,Other Voices).

Years later my brothers band, based in the Boston area, opened for Bonnie Raitt and according to him, she's a sweetie.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I've always been intrigued by the hippie era too. When I was younger, I found a leather fringed jacket way back in my dad's closet. Then I found Steppenwolf, Mamas and the Papas, Joe Walsh and the Allman Brothers albums (among others). My parents will never admit to anything. But that jacket....

I listen to all that music right now. Sam if you want to hear some good hippie music, listen to the Forrest Gump soundtrack.

"If you're going to San Francisco...be sure to wear some flowers in your hair" :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm from that era too..... graduated HS in 1969 and got married that year too. I remember when the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show the first time.... I remember my Grandpa saying they won't last...... and that long hair will never catch on....... LOL !! That long hair caught on and never went away ! At first, boys were expelled from school for letting their hair grow long like that ! Can you imagine that now ?? My husband wore his hair then like the Beatles.... he wore the suede "beatle boots" and the paisley shirts, bell bottom pants, I made my clothes .... I adapted sewing patterns and made the bell bottoms wider at the bottom, lower in the waist.... we started the "hip huggers" ya know..... we had long hair, we went "down town" and just walked around , and people (the older generation) always stared and looked down on us like were were "renegades" of some sort..... you know that feeling probably..... or maybe not, as things have become a lot more "accepted" these days.....I wanted to go to Woodstock, but I was still in HS and my Mother forbid me.....

It was a great time back then. I am thankful that I experienced it. I think it helped make me, what I am today. I never did care what other people thought about me, based on just how I dressed...... it really was a "movement" of sorts...... I think it changed a lot of things, and a lot for the better...... maybe you just had to "BE THERE", because it's hard to explain...... but I look back on those years with a smile.....

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Rent this movie. It was excellent. You get the music, the families, the current events, the changing of "Cleaver Family" kids to the hippie lifestyle and the events leading to it, the war, the protests...really good movie:

The '60s

On Video: June 22, 1999
Starring: Josh Hamilton
Jerry O'Connell
Julia Stiles
Bill Smitrovich
Annie Corley
Leonard Roberts
Jeremy Sisto
Jordana Brewster
Director: Mark Piznarski
Genre: Drama
Synopsis: Whether you lived through it, or just heard about it, The '60s is a movie experience that will blow your mind. From executive producer Lynda Obst comes an epic blend of music, drama and real-life events that brings the decade's most explosive events to life. Two American families -- one white, one black -- are torn apart by the war in Vietnam and the war on the streets. Only their love for each other can bring them back together.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh wow. Okay. Music, what all the other flower children listed above plus the Moody Blues. I sank heavily into that. Being a melancholy teenager it suited me very well. Hair long and straight (straightened with the clothes iron or 'Curl Free') and gigantic round plastic rollers or OJ cans.

There was Woodstock, of course, many of my friends went. All returned unscathed. My brothers were in the Army, one in Germany, one in Viet Nam. Guess which one played on the Army golf team? (hint: golf doesn't work very well in a jungle terrain) I was allowed to have their bedroom in their absence which was great because I could make it very dark. Dark for brooding. Also great because it housed the typewriter and the 2nd floor telephone. Didn't need the phone so much but that typewriter... I wrote volumes about the meaning of life ::) and knocked out hilarious letters to the brother in Germany. He always replied in kind, handwritten pages carefully crafted with a Flair felt tip pens. Flairs were pretty new then.

Incense burning in the bedroom (wonder why dad never put the nix on that? Guess he thought it was sort of "church-like"), lava lamps (ick! but they were required paraphernalia), beads, floppy hats (I never went the floppy hat route), flat uncomfortable leather sandals from India bought at any of the "head shops" we loved so much.

Funny thing... there were two factions in high school. The hippies or flower children and the soshes (socialites). The sosh crowd dressed in Oxford cloth shirts with the top button buttoned and pinned with their requisite monogram pin from Honeybee. Their purses were the most wonderful leather bags, about 10" square, long shoulder strap, and the closure, again, was the brass monogram. They cost a fortune! I coveted them but never had one.

My graduating class was one of the highest ranked academically in years, with both hippie and sosh groups going on to Ivy League schools, Oxford, all the top universities in the country. I went on to the University of Missouri, mom encouraging me to major in journalism (natch) and I spent the first year doing some more brooding.

Oh boy... I could go on but I really don't like going back there very much.

Whew! Now for more coffee...

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
You might want to pick some favorite people who didn't drown in a pool of their own vomit.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
2LabsInNEPA said:

Yup, that's me. You can't see the leather strand around my neck and left wrist. Hard to imagine a retired Army colonel like this, huh? ;D

I was never a Doors fan, though. Hendrix, Santana, Deep Purple, Steppenwolf, CSN and later CSN&Y followed by Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull and the Almond Brothers thrown in with a little Country Joe and the Fish, and some Jefferson Airplane did it for me.

As a senior in HS I volunteered for the first progressive rock FM radio station in our area. They sponsored a series of concerts and I got to work security. Got to party backstage with Todd Rundgren and band right after their transition to hard rock, spent 10 minutes in one on one conversation before a concert with Bonnie Raitt (and fell instantly in love..or lust), and worked front stage for Deep Purple and Billy Preston (nothing like hearing Smoke on the Water standing 5 feet in front of the stage :eek:)

Those were the days! Oh, and I never inhaled. ::)
You have fabulous taste in music! (born in '71, but my brother & sister are 18 & 14 years older than me, so their music was a great influence on me. Wooo! Sabbath!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Hippies scared me. I would see them flopping around naked in the mud (Woodstock footage, I guess??) and get freaked out. The music caused me to tremble, too -- and the graphics, those psychodelic light projections that looked like a series of science slides gone awry. And those ubiquitous neon flower stickers. Ugh. All of it made my skin crawl. Much of the big news in the latter 1960s scared the tar out of me: The Democratic Convention. Assasination of MLK and RFK. Kent State. It was really unnerving for an 8 y.o. to try to process.

The only bright spot I remember from that era was Armstrong on the Moon. Mom & Dad woke us up in the middle of the night saying, "You'll be able to tell your grandchildren you saw man land on the moon!"

Family portrait circa 1975. Ew.

·
Registered
870 Posts
This thread brings back so many memories -good and a few that I think I'll tuck back away. The leather fringe jackets, beads, long hair, musis that drove our parents crazy (hummm, that hasn't changed), drugs, concerts, Vietnam, bell bottoms.......There were the ones who really fried some brain cells with the drugs, but most of us turned out to be very respectable adults. We were going down a path that was new and uncharted. We had hopes for peace, community, a more natural environment. Drugs, sex and rock and roll was a part of the scene but not all participated in the mantra. When my boys became teens they were amazed at the music we had listened to and enjoyed it also, of course they had grown up listening to it also. In fact, my first grandson's middle name is Morrison.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Born in 1956, graduated in 1975 from High School. Listened to some of the same music, Firesign Theatre made me "A Bozo on the Bus" also was deep into Hank Williams Sr. at the same time, still am. Drove a VW Beetle.

Had long hair, was known to wear blousy flowered shirts, striped pants, small wire frame glasses.

Woops, wrong picture, that was last Aug down in Kansas. ;D Have to find one when I get home. ;D

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Golfgirlrobin said:
You might want to pick some favorite people who didn't drown in a pool of their own vomit.
****! You beat me to it!

I was born in 1963 and only saw it through the eyes of a child. My parents were into jazz and were more Mod than anything else. We didn't see much of the Hippie scene until we moved to Washington State so dad could attend university. I was wide eyed at all the "funny looking" people lounging on the lawn in front of the library. There was a little store that sold candles and insence. In they basement they sold furniture and waterbeds. A bunch of us kids used to go there and were given woodstock t-shirts. I had mine up until recently - mother turned it into a rag :-\

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You can't tell it because he removed the jacket, but my older brother, who's in the back there and who's blue paisley clashes so nighmarishly with the paisley wallpaper behind him, is wearing a liesure suit (!!!!!!). We younger brothers thought that was the height of haute couture at the time, and would frump jealously into the backseat of the car as he wore it to church.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
dweck said:
You can't tell it because he removed the jacket, but my older brother, who's in the back there and who's blue paisley clashes so nighmarishly with the paisley wallpaper behind him, is wearing a liesure suit (!!!!!!). We younger brothers thought that was the height of haute couture at the time, and would frump jealously into the backseat of the car as he wore it to church.
BWAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I remember the day I found my Mom's "Magic Cigar Box", that had this odd odor and all this strange stuff in it. It had spent matches glued all over the hard outside surface, and this burnt orange crazy pattern glued in place on the inside. There was a 'pocket' glued into the liner, and therein were the most hilarious pictures of my Mom and Dad in outfits their parents would have killed them in if they had seen them.

Apparently, they were 'weekend' rebels when they lived at home, and 'University Hippies' when they were up at college. Their high school pictures were all very 'preppy', although my Dad's hair was just below the tops of his ears. I know that it drove both my Dad's father and my Mom's father bananas though. ;D They both came from very strict homes, so I'm shocked they had the courage to do as much as they did!

Now the 70's, that was just a bad, bad, time. SOME of the music was good, but oh dear, the fashions were nauseating. I look at what my family was wearing, and it looked like they didn't need LSD to have visual hallucinations. As I remember, all the fabrics were explosively flammable too.

Can someone explain to me the purpose of a 'butterfly collar'?? Some of those looked positively avionic.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The only thing worse than a liesure suit is the "Western Cut" liesure suits, had to wear a polyester one that was supposed to look like chambray at my brother wedding in 1979. ::)

Luckily I out grew and it went to the Goodwill, sure had to eat a lot to do that, my ex liked it.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Oooooooo, a faux-chambray western leisure suit! You know, I think that guy in 'Raising Arizona' wore one, with white patent buckle shoes as I recall.

I would pay good money to see a picture of you in that suit!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
MickeysMommy said:
I would pay good money to see a picture of you in that suit!
How much? I think I have one taken in 79 or 80 at my Ex's Christmas party at the bank. I'll warn you, I had drank a lot of gin and tonic's by then. ::)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts