Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.wihumane.org/animals/animal.aspx?id=2346216

Ok... who here has one? What are they like?

I'm at a loss... I kind of want a smaller dog with a big dog personality (and trainability). In my research the other day I was reminded how notoriously difficult it is to potty train smaller (toy) dogs and now I don't want to touch the true toy breeds with a ten foot pole. (I'm such a big dog person at heart)

·
Registered
315 Posts
My boss has one. I think she's obnoxious. Then again she's just a year old. Toto from the Wizard of Oz was a cairn terrier. Her fur is very wiry and I don't care to pet her to much. Ike's soft ears have spoiled me I guess.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Hubby's grandparents have three of them. Theirs are yappy, very hyper, but they are intelligent. Grandmother-in-law does AKC agility with them. They aren't housebroken though, but that's more their fault than the dogs. Now, they live in CA and I'm in MS, so I don't have very much first-hand experience with them, but that's how they've been whenever we've visited or they've visited. Travel could have played a part in that, but they take the dogs everywhere they go too (they aren't used to nearly cross-country trips very often though).

They are absolutely adorable though, and I'm sure that if the dogs weren't so spoiled and treated like princesses, they would behave much better. GIL pretty much lets them get away with anything unless they're training or doing a trial.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Oooh, I have pics from today, Mickey was over Grandma's playing with the Cairn Crazies and a nutty Golden named Briggs...I have to charge my camera back up, but I'll post the pics as soon as I can upload them. My Mom's Cairns have silkier hair than normal, I think. She has three different colors, you'll see them in the pics. Mickey tends to do more barking than they do, but when they do, it's hilarious. They sound like little old Scottmen yellin' at the kids to "Get Off My Lawn!". (low grumbling grown, then BARK!!!)

They're hearty, fun, nutty little toughies in tiny packages, IMHO.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I.Hate.Terriers.

That having been said, I know there are several people on JL who have them and I assume they love their dogs.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to keep telling myself "Lindsay you are not ready yet... Lindsay you are not ready yet"

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
A neighbor has two. Eventually she had to have them debarked because people were complaining. Now they still bark but they make a hollow little noise like they're hoarse all the time. They run around all frantic all the time. Icky little dogs.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Molly has a Cairn: Cricket.

If not a Cairn, how about a Jack Russell Terrier like Penny? Everybody loves Penny!

I also met Nicole's (JacksAndLabs) niece who has a JRT. Cute, well behaved, she said he's a couch potato in the house, but at the beach, he's ready to play.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought JRT's were like really high energy dogs that required a lot of intellectual stimulation. I don't want to get in too over my head.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My vet recommended one to me- my condo association *technically* has a thirty pound weight limit on dogs. That being said, five out of my six neighbors have 80 pound labs.

My vet said that exercise is key in making them manageable.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
What about a basset hound? They're cute and pretty lazy dogs. My brother has one that he calls a footstool, because the dog basically lays in one spot most of the day, lol BIL has a French bulldog, and I've always liked his dog. I haven't been around it very much either though (they live in Missouri).

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Oh my god! She's adorable. I could NEVER have a terrior though, that ratting insticnt is a no go around my precious fuzzbutt ferrets.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts