Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, So here's my understanding of what butter tarts are. According to the Wiki gods (wikepedia) they are a sweet pastry treat that originated in Canada, go figure? They have been compared to the American version of Peacan pie, I can't verify that cause I have never tried peacan pie, but anyways, here's the recipe if you want to try them

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup (or maple syrup)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup raisins

Cream margarine, gradually add sugar and syrup. Beat in egg with a whisk, add remaining ingredients. Now here's where I cheat, fill 12 frozen tart shells with mixture or make your own pie pastry and use muffin tins. The mixture is really liquidy so don't worry. Bake on a baking sheet lined with foil to catch any spill over for 8 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 and bake for 15 more minutes, crust will be golden brown. Cool and enjoy. Makes 12 tarts.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
MMMMMMM

Wouldn't say its like pecan pie.. since there's no pecans... :)

Think that will be my weekend project.. to replicate my mother's recipe...

For those who want to cultivate instant toothrot, try a Quebec maple sugar pie

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 350.
1. In a large bowl, stir together the sugars and flour.

2. Spread the sugar mixture evenly over the pie shell.

3. Pour the cream over the sugar and place in the oven.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
To serve:
Serve the tart warm from the oven.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I am in love with this thread. I love butter tarts.

You have to try them if you've never had them. They so totally rock.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
omg.. love the butter tarts..

there's actually quite a few things we have here that the yanks don't have.. it's pretty surprising, actually.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Mmmm.... butter tarts... I think I'm going to have to make some this weekend!! :D

Thanks for the recipe BucksMom! (PS. How did your surprise visit with your son go??)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, you can make them without raisins, but the filling might be alittle runny, substitute with walnuts, or chocolate chips if you want, but their not quite the same, LOL j/k, i've seen them in stores with nuts or chipits.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Ohhhh, love butter tarts! At my old company, we had several Canadian associates. One of them used to make butter tarts regularly, and he would always bring me a small box full. YUM!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I always use butter, rather than margarine when I make them. The thought of having butter tarts without raisins is just plain wrong! I've had them made with currents and they weren't very good.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I am now thoroughly convinced that I'd be 500 lbs if I lived up there, you guys know how to EAT! Howizit that every Canadian I've ever met had such a healthy physique with foods like these???

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Oh man.....butter tarts.....

My Mom only makes them for Christmas. **** you guys! Now I'm drooling!

Maybe I'll make some Welsh Cakes and Butter Tarts this weekend....... ;D

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
MickeysMommy said:
Howizit that every Canadian I've ever met had such a healthy physique with foods like these???
Moderation and exercise.

BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts