Just Labradors banner

business people I have a question

564 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Lab Dad 
#1 ·
As some of you may remember my mom is now the manager of a dollar general. Well the AC in "her" store is not working(hasn't been for a month or two now). She keeps calling and calling the people who get a hold of the people who fix the AC unit. After the seventh call they FINALLY got someone out to "fix" it. He was "fixing" it as she was leaving. She got into work two days ago and guess what it still wasn't working. This is the same guy that came in last time to "fix" it and instead turned on some kind of fan that blew in hot air instead of cold air. She has food going to waste because it is so hot in the store, loosing customers, and her and "her" employees are grouchy because of the heat. She has to call the cooperate people or whatever since they are the ones who send the AC guy. What can she do!? It is a high of 103 degrees tomorrow and they have no AC. Would you ask cooperate to send a different guy/company or something?

P.S. She had workers calling her today saying 7 people walked in and right back out, some people bought melted candy bars, and some food went bad(like melted candy and some food items) just because the AC guy wont fix the AC unit!

#2 ·
She needs to speak to someone higher up in the corporate office, explain the situation and that the previous 'fixes' not only have not worked, but the store is now losing revenue because the AC is not working. That should get some attention.

#4 ·
Start sending emails to the relevant people explaining all the losses and the fact that customers are walking out. If she emails the AC company bosses then make sure she copies in her bosses to.

Keep all records and emails so there is no come back..

Vertebrate Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal

#5 ·
Doesn't she have a regional manager who is directly responsible for that store? That's who should be dealing with this and if that person does not get it done, they have a boss too. At some point this becomes an OSHA issue if the store temp is so high that people can't safely do the work. Plus the product that is being damaged (like that candy) is added expense to the company - they have to do something about it.

#7 ·
She has called everyone she can and she still has no AC. She called me a few minutes ago saying her and her employees are already sweating bad and it is only 10:13 and already 95 degrees out!!! So she had a worker run to a gas station and buy them all cold water bottles and they put them in the fridge. My mom doesn't drink a lot of water so I know its hot out when she said she already has drank 3 in the last 2 hours. She called her district manager 2 days ago and as soon as he answered the phone he said "i am sending them they are on there way" and thats when the other guy came in to "fix" it.

#9 ·
I would call the repair company and talk to someone about why it has not been fixed properly. Why did she, as the manager, leave before the job was completed? There needs to be a reasonable expectation of when the work will be completed. Are they waiting for parts? Did it work at all when he left? I would be screaming to corporate and tell them about the loss of revenue, that will get their attention.

#11 ·
If she has the contact info for the guy who was there to fix it, she needs to call and get him back there. Its the same as if you were getting a repair done on your home - they don't do the job right, they have to come back. I assume he is billing the home office? I would tell the home office not to pay for the repair as it was not done properly. Part of being a manager is having a backbone and being persistant until a problem is completely resolved. You can't just wait for someone to come help - you have to help yourself.

#12 ·
It doesn't make sense that no one knows what is going on. It seems like the AC guy would have to check in with somebody and report his progress. I wouldn't put up with that, I would keep calling people higher and higher up until someone did something (both from your mom's company, the AC company, and the property manager (if Dollar General doesn't own the building).

#13 ·
She needs to stay in daily contact with her next higher up, document product loss and number of customers who turn right around and leave. Asking customers to call the corporate customer service department to complain might help too.

Could be some parts wore out and have to be ordered. Unless it is policy for the store manager to contact repair contractors directly I would just go through her boss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.