Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have given Ernie a couple of bully sticks in the past weeks and he absolutely goes crazy for them. It is one of the few things I can give him that will hold his attention for more than 30 seconds. I know if I give him one I can have about a half an hour to get things done without him getting in trouble.

However the smell absolutely makes me gag. I can't stand it--especially the one we gave him this week--it was smoked or something and it was nastier than usual. I have tried nylabones and he will only chew on those for a few seconds. I tried a regular bone stuffed with peanut butter, frozen kongs but nothing works like the bully stick. I really need to find some kind of alternative b/c they are going to have to be banned from the house.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm surprised that you're having a problem with smell. The bully sticks that I give Piper have virtually no smell whatsoever. Maybe switch brands and see if it works for you?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I give gus bully sticks, the ones i give have no bad smell (kinda smell like jerky after its been chewed on for a bit), maybe try a different store/brand.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've started using the "healthy edible" nylabones. Rocket loves them, and they last a couple of days. I no longer have to smell stinky pig flesh, nor worry about potential problems from raw hides.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Yucky. I can't give apollo a bully stick cuz i just can't get over the mental hurdle that those things are actually dried bull penises. eck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've tried bully sticks that come in a package, but they smell absolutely awful (don't remember the brand). Luckily the pet store right near me sells "natural" ones that are local and not packaged. They're in the same section as the rawhide etc. They have no smell at all. I'd keep looking around if I were you because dogs love them!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apollopuppy said:
Yucky. I can't give apollo a bully stick cuz i just can't get over the mental hurdle that those things are actually dried bull penises. eck!
Believe me I hear you! I was so grossed out when I found out what they were. However it's either my ankles or the bully sticks so I got over it! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeh, bull penises are a bad though ;D

I like the nylabones too, my dogs won't touch the regular ones but the flavored ones are a big hit. They are really expensive, and when you consider a nice big beef marrow bone is less than a dollar at my grocery store they don't make much sense but they are great for a portable treat.

I paid 12 dollars for a big nylabone for my girl at a show because I thought she looked bored in her crate, it was the regular white one, she looked at me like "are you kidding me, no flavor?" and shoved it aside lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts