Just Labradors banner

Bulldogs

986 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  canadianlablover 
#1 ·
In Tal's obed class there is a 10 months old female Bulldog white with brown and she is a beautiful dog.

I had never thought of Bulldogs as friendly, and actually know very little about the breed, but she loves me for some reason. Her name is Lilly and she always comes up and gives me a hug. She and Tal love to play together too and they are funny to watch. I saw her the other day when I went to pick Tal up from daycare too. She is in with the smaller dogs but she seemed to recognize me so when she came up to the fence I let her lick my hand. I think I may take my camera next week and see if I can get a vid clip or two of them playing.

#2 ·
Oh there's nothin like a bulldog pup! They are so funny with all the wiggling they do. They are some of the funniest dogs there are as long as they keep their funny personalities. Ya gotta love em!

#6 ·
Doh! Thanks, Susan.

Let me summarize Stella.

She's a wonderful, loving, loyal, mushy, smelly, LOUD (snorts, grunts, etc), Bully. But......

she HATES other dogs (other than her brothers), cats, squirrels, birds, etc. and also hates when people come near/in her yard. She a Bully. Period.

She was bred to bait bulls. She'll try to take down ANY dog she sees...even the 140 lb. Newfie across the street. No fears.

She's going off the boot camp next week to work out some of her "issues". Since getting her, and realizing that all my advise on getting her was a bit biased, I'm learning now that Bully's can be quite aggressive and are known in the show ring for not playing nice with one another.

#7 ·
MyLabsMom said:
Doh! Thanks, Susan.

Let me summarize Stella.

She's a wonderful, loving, loyal, mushy, smelly, LOUD (snorts, grunts, etc), Bully. But......

she HATES other dogs (other than her brothers), cats, squirrels, birds, etc. and also hates when people come near/in her yard. She a Bully. Period.

She was bred to bait bulls. She'll try to take down ANY dog she sees...even the 140 lb. Newfie across the street. No fears.

She's going off the boot camp next week to work out some of her "issues". Since getting her, and realizing that all my advise on getting her was a bit biased, I'm learning now that Bully's can be quite aggressive and are known in the show ring for not playing nice with one another.
But she'll always be a dainty little princess to us. :-*

#8 ·
I showed a house yesterday and there was an american bulldog crated. I was kinds nervous at first that she was going to make a scene but actually was a huge baby and whined for us to pay attention to her. I had never seen one before and they are definately .......hmmmm. interestingly cute?

#10 ·
snowflake said:
How could anyone not love this? The #1 college mascot in the country!! GO DAWGS!
Love the pic! Like I said in my post, I really don't know much about the breed but Lilly has given me a very favorable impression of them. It's interesting how the first encounter you have with a dog can create an opinion that will always be there.

Reminds me of Tal's dog buddy Toto who is a 120 lb Rottie. Talk about a big teddy bear. So another thing Tal is doing is helping me see the good in all breeds.

#11 ·
I think bulldogs are just adorable. :angel:

I will never forget one who came to see me one day in the front yard. I was gardening and out of nowhere, here comes a roly-poly bulldog gal. :D I had never seen her before. She was very excited to say hello, crawl in my lap, get a belly rub, and lick my face. :p I was just in LOVE with her! She went home, down the street, and I never did see her again. She had gotten out accidentally.

But I've always thought, since then...I wouldn't mind having a Bulldog. :) I have heard they are not terribly easy to obedience train...how does she do in class?

#12 ·
I can tell you that in class Stella did amazing in our class. She so food motivated that should would just attentively stare at me and do ANYTHING. But, she snarled at every dog in there.

They're notorious for not house training well at all. Stella was about a year before she finally stopped on a regular basis, however, she's still known to go first thing in the morning, if not rushed out. ::) I belong to a Bully forum and that's a BIG topic of conversation. Many known for peeing on piles of laundry, clothing left on the floor and even throw rugs.

They are awfully cute, though....I agree.

#13 ·
AngusFangus said:
I have heard they are not terribly easy to obedience train...how does she do in class?
Well she seems to be doing well. It's hard to say because when class first started she had a bandage on her foot from a cut she got when walking. But it has since healed and she is fine now.

I think her owner does really well with her but she does seem to have a mind of her own at times. And she gets a little slow when she does not want to walk fast!

Tal is the largest of the three...then there is Lilly and a Short Haired Border Collie named Lexie (can't remember the name of the breed :( ) and yesterday a fellow with a very well behaved GSD was there for a refresher. The GSD is 3 years old and he did not want to be bothered with all that puppy foolishness...lol so he didn't play much when they were off leash.

#14 ·
I love Bulldogs and I know that SU and I have discussed adopting one from a rescue. I have loved them since forever and I actually have 4 in my handling class. Of course they are all from the same breeder, who is also doing the handling. Her and her husband. I love them and have since I was a kid. My friend had one and when she introduced me to him when I was 8 I was hooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.