Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening while I was cleaning the kitchen after dinner, Walt took Buddy out for an evening walk. When I finished up in the kitchen, I went out on the front porch to enjoy the nice evening. Walt and Buddy had gone out in the back field. Walt said that when Buddy got almost back to the backdoor instead of going up on the steps, he headed for the corner of the house. Buddy NEVER comes around the front of the house without permission. NEVER!!!!!!! The first thing I see is Buddy hauling a$$ around the side of the house toward the porch. He runs up on the porch and is so excited to see me. The only thing we can figure out is that he could smell me on the front side of the house, when he came up from the field. There is NO WAY he could have seen me. He had to have smelled me. He knew his Mama was outside on the porch. I find this amazing that their noses are so good.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
That's cute. :D

Their noses amaze me as well. Jake and I play hide and seek. (I hide/he seeks.) He LOVES it. I love when I am in a spot where I can see him but he can't see me so I can watch him with his nose to the ground, tail spinning around like a helicopter, and doing his "fast" walk around in huge circles until he picks up my trail. ;D

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It blew me away. I figured he'd come in the house, miss me, come look out the front window to see if I was on the front porch, then start screaming to come outside when he saw me. Never thought he'd smell me. I'd even had a shower before dinner. Now if I hadn't had that shower, I would have said the whole neighborhood could of smelled me because I worked in the yard all day. LOL

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Buddy knows his Mom's scent. I read a book by Stanley Coren called What Dogs Think (I think that was what it was called). Anyway he went through each of the senses. I thought he really described a dog's sense of smell well. He described it something like this, a person walks into the kitchen and smells the chili that you're making, a dog walks into the kitchen and smells all the ingredients in the chili. Dogs' sense of smell is not amazing.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Wow!! That IS amazing!!

We only have the tiniest of inklings just how great their senses are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts