Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy has really adapted well to his forever home. :) He learned to ring the bells to go potty in two days, and he has not had one accident in the house. ;D He uses Shadow's beds, plays with her toys, and eats from her dishes like they were always his. Buddy also acts like he has always used a tie-out, and is really good with it. He walks fairly well on a leash, much better with the prong collar than Shadow did, but needs to learn to heel. I'm looking for obedience classes nearby. The one I really want to take him to has not returned my calls yet, and if they don't soon, I'll have to look elsewhere.

He's just tall enough to be able to see out our windows when standing on the floor. The only one he can actually see out of, though, is in the computer room, as the rest have furniture in front of them. Buddy hasn't tried getting on the couch (yet), but he did try to climb into Bill's lap in his recliner. ;) He has jumped up on the bed a couple of times, but that's a no-no. The bed was Shadow's place, and I am not ready to allow another dog to sleep there. :-\

Buddy is sweet, gentle, lovable, cuddly, smart, funny, athletic, and a charming sneak thief (think Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief). He leaps like a gazelle, needs more exercise than Shadow ever did, is a champion counter-surfer and trash-diver, and has tried to remove the stones from my rings numerous times. He responds quickly to a "No!" and learns fast. When we first got him, we had to lift him into the van because he didn't want to get in, and then block his escape when the door was opened because he'd try to bolt out. Now he jumps into the van on command, waits until I take his leash before he gets out, and also waits at the door of the house instead of dashing out and dragging you with him. Buddy is still exploring and discovering the house, and I learned that he can reach the top of our entertainment unit quite easily, in addition to the higher shelves on our bookshelf units. :-\ He definitely is making me keep the tables and counters clear!

We still miss Shadow, our sweet baby girl, but Buddy is healing the holes in our hearts. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm so glad that you two are healing and that Buddy is there to help you! He sounds like a great guy! He is very lucky to have parents like you and Bill. Have a happy Mother's Day!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Sounds like it's becoming a very sweet transition, Jackie.
Hope you can get that trash diving and surfing under control quickly. I have no doubt you will. :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It seems you all are adjusting beautifully! Buddy sounds like a really great dog for you and Bill. As for the bed, someday, you'll want him up there..and that will be the right time. No rush..for Buddy or you..just enjoying your time together. He sounds like a very happy well adjusted dog! We're all so happy for you both! It's great to see you posting again, and sharing Buddy's life with us.
Happy Mommy's day to you!
Hugs, Jackie

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
As I have been reading your posts this week, I kept thinking that you and Bill have done a wonderful job of picking out Buddy. I've also been saying to myself, Buddy is home (if you know what I mean). I will never forget Shadow but we all have room in our hearts to love one more.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
This is so true..we used to have a Rottie..years and years ago..he was the love of my husbands life..he cried all the way home after we had to put him to sleep, he was ill, terminal. Well..Dakota is running a close race for that spot again. He loves him alot..and he was the one who really didn't want another dog at this time..he's crazy about Dakota, we both are of course. There is always room to love another dog, cat, bird..whatever your choice is. They each will hold a different but special place in our hearts.
Jackie

Rangermom said:
As I have been reading your posts this week, I kept thinking that you and Bill have done a wonderful job of picking out Buddy. I've also been saying to myself, Buddy is home (if you know what I mean). I will never forget Shadow but we all have room in our hearts to love one more.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Jackie, I'm so happy you have found another dog to love. Buddy sounds like he will work out really well. Nothing can ever replace our pets we have lost, but we can always found room in our hearts to love others. I lost my two cats within six months of each other; now I have two new kitties -- they have certainly helped in the healing process. Give Buddy a chocolate kiss from Haylee!!

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Buddy sounds wonderful. :D

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm glad to hear it too..... sounds like he is a very smart boy.... learns fast !! He's learned so much already, and I'm sure he will learn the rest.... so happy for him, and you too !!

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
A week already wow!! well it sounds like Buddy will keep you on your toes that's for sure a what a smart puppy I'm so glad you are all bonding so well :)

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
How blessed you are to have each other to love and heal the wounds. You will always have shadow, that's a given but Buddy is here today not to take the place of Shadow, but to make one of his own and it sounds as though he is succeeding!! What a good, smart boy he is. He has settled in very nicely. I'm happy for you. :) :) :)

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I am so glad Buddy is settling in well. Shadow will always be in your heart. She would not want you to be sad. Our hearts are big enough to love another. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Sounds like Buddy is making his way into your hearts! And he sounds like a really cool fellow. I think one of the best ways you can honor Shadow is what you are doing with Buddy. You were very happy with Shadow and enjoyed the time you shared with her. That meant so much that you wanted another to share with. I think that's kinda cool.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Sounds like Buddy is settling in VERY nicely!! :D Can't wait to hear more about him!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I am so happy that your first week has been such a treasure! Glad you gave us a rundown. Do you wonder if Buddy realizes how lucky he is?? ;) I am so happy that a void is being filled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts