Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday nite 8:30 PM
I guess I'm not thinking. I'm truly sorry. I saw the other post asking for an update. I had replied further down in this one earlier today and didn't realize many couldn't know that without a change in the title.
He's doing much better. He's still 'purple' but the vet confirmed it's normal and like you all said, I didn't need to panic. I can't help myself. I'm a worry wart. I don't ever recall reading a post where someone else's dog had this happen. Maybe I did and w/o seeing it personally, it just didn't sink in.
He's using the leg more and more. I know he didn't do that so quickly the first time. Maybe that's why he is bruising. The incision is practically non existant. Except for the staples, you'd never notice it. No discoloration or oozing, etc. anywhere near it. Just purple everywhere else.
Again, I do thank everyone here for putting up with me. I can't even imagine what I'd be like if I had to deal with some of the issues some of you have.
Thanks again.
Pam
:)

-------------------------

Every time I think he's taking a step forward, something happens that throws me back to square one.
I'm trying to post 4 pictures here. The first one is from yesterday that you all saw. During the night, he was very, very red. I assumed he licked off the hydrocortisone spray. This morning, it wasn't so red but the area was larger. Photos 2 & 3.
I just looked at him now and this red is spreading. I hope you can tell from the angle of the shot but it is spreading now to his private area. I have calls in to all doctors but of course, it's Sunday night and I'm sitting here feeling like every minute is 5 hours. If this were razor burn, wouldn't it have all happened at the same time?
He is using the leg more than before and doesn't seem to be suffering.

I'm sorry the pix are so large.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Re: BUDDY - I'm Panicking - Photos

gosh, that looks really red ! But somebody on here already said it would probably get worse before it got better, in terms of bruising....... but I don't know...... maybe it's like a black eye, and the blood is settling........ I would have a call into the vet if it were me, too.......

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
7,052 Posts

I think it's OK. I hesitate to say normal. I definitely would call the vets just to be on th esafe side. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm trying. I have calls in to both. Not getting any call backs. They usually are very good at calling right away. Could it be some kind of allergy to one of his meds? I'm going now to google dog allergies.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts

It is definitely bruising. Just not sure why it keeps getting worse. Just wondering if he tore something the night he fell frog legged on the floor.

S

·
0 Posts

I am new here with a new-to-us-now-9month old female lab. She got fixed the Tuesday before Memorial day weekend and had major blood clotting issues to the point we almost lost her. She didn't come home until that next Friday and had the same bruising on her lower belly. One would go and another would come. They finally went away today (a week later) or I would send in a pic. My vet thought they were from the bandages they had her wrapped in to try and encourage clotting but one popped up where there wasn't a bandage. I wouldn't panic but I would keep trying the vet. If you won't sleep well tonight--could you take him to a local vet hospital for a quick looksie. I have sprained my ankle where the bruise takes days to finally come to the surface---would dogs be similar.

Good Luck--DG

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

Oh boy...I can see why you're panicking. I would be too.
But it doesn't look swollen, and like labsrme said, his incision looks great. It's not weeping, no swelling there either.

Is the red area hot to touch?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

The incision looks great, healing nicely. I think the rest is just bruising.....In the second picture I can see a couple of areas where the bruising is just coming to the surface and I think they are the, closer to the groin, areas that you are worried about now. I would still need to get a vet check done just for complete peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have been online and reading about all kinds of rashes in dogs, other animals and humans. I can't find very many photos and the ones I do find, don't resemble what Buddy has. I cannot believe these doctors aren't calling. This never happens. Someone always calls back.
The incision is wonderful. Nothing wrong there at all. This is everywhere else. It's not hard or crusty. Not blistered. No oozing. Just badly discolored skin. And it's moving to other places that didn't have it before. Do you think it could be an allergic reaction to one of the medications? Lord knows he's on enough of them. I gave him all of today's before I noticed this was spreading. Now I'm wondering if I should give him some Benedryl.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

That's not a rash, that is definitely bruising. Maybe he has a blood vessel still bleeding since it seems to be spreading. I would surely have the vet look at it.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts

It looks like bruising to me too. And I think i would hold off on the benadryl until you get a call back from the vet. Just in case of medication interactions. I think anti-inflammatores make you more prone to brusing so if some of his meda are anti inflammatires that might be why it looks worse

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

I'm not an expert, but I always think that if it's an allergic reaction, wouldn't he be "reacting" in other parts of his body?

Other than the redness, how is he doing? Eating, sleeping, pooping, peeing okay? no excessive panting?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

He pooped and peed earlier today. Ate normally. It doesn't feel hot. He's not panting. In fact, he's sleeping at the moment. But he feel deep into a sleep about the same time last night a while after his PM meds. If it wasn't spreading, I wouldn't be so worried. He's even walking better tonite.
Since most of you don't think it's an allergy, then maybe he is bruising from getting up and sitting back down. He goes around in circles before he finally puts his butt down so he must be very uncomfortable. I remember when my first knee was done, I was so uncomfortable I started walking differently. I didn't realize it, but I was putting more pressure on my opposite side. My whole hip started to hurt and I actually went and had it xrayed cause the pain was getting worse and worse. There was nothing wrong with the hip. When my knee healed, I must have gone back to my usual way of moving around and the hip pain disappeared. But I had no bruising of any kind. I have developed large black and blue bruises from taking anti-inflammatories too many days in a row. One of these medications Buddy is taking is an anti-inflammatory. Maybe this is what a black and blue bruise looks like in a dog? Mine were causing blood clots. I'm going to make my self neurotic by morning. Boy am I going to give it to the drs. for not calling back. I really don't want to go to a strange ER. The last time I did that, they nearly killed him. It was 7 years ago and I still shake when I think about it.

·
Registered
479 Posts

It definitely looks like bruising. Unfortunately, with some dogs, like with some people, the bruising is more severe than in others that have had the same procedure. It is not unusual for bruising to expand in area for several days, gravity plays a part in this as well. We have had dogs that had their entire leg turn that nasty dark red bruise color so his isn't really the worse I have seen. Do they have you hot packing the leg?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I just now FINALLY got a call back. She seems to agree with all of you that it's some kind of bruising. It can wait until tomorrow and I should apply the cold packs tonite not hot. So I'll be calling at 7am to see what time I should go in. The office opens at 7 but the vets get there later.
I'll report tomorrow when I know more. Thank you all again.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Deep breath. Calm down. It's just brusing. Magnum's got like that as well. It will slowly turn purple then fade. The tug, pull and manipulate the tissues when they are doing surgery. His incision looks great.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts

It looks like bruising. When I broke my leg and walked out on it (I was backing) 3/4 miles my leg bruised like that. It got worse for 2 weeks. Bad bruises do that. It will probably start to turn black and greenish. I broke my leg 4th of July weekend and the bruise was still on the bottom of my foot at Thanksgiving (blood settles to the lowest point). So it will probably look bad for quite a while. It is turning dark which means it is not fresh blood.

·
Registered
577 Posts

I have not been on all weekend and just dropped in and was wondering about Buddy. I think it is bruising as well. Gus had quite a bit, but since he is black I don't think it showed up as much as it has on Buddy. His incision does look good. I'm glad to hear that he is doing well other than the bruising. Let us know what the vet says.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts