Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Buddy to a trainer to be evaluated after work today, because I want to get into one of his obedience classes. After being crated all day, with no timde to take him to run first, I was afraid the little man was going to be full of pi$$ and vinegar and embarrass me. Well, he didn't. :) Frank worked with him for a few minutes, said Buddy has a 'soft neck' and not to use a prong collar on him, at most all he needs is a chain slip collar for training. He thinks Buddy is maybe 10 months old, he is very eager to please, and 'should be a dream to train' - his words, not mine! ;D I was bustin' my buttons! The class should start in two or three weeks.

Tomorrow I am going to try leaving him out of the crate while I run errands for a couple of hours. He's going to get his very first marrow bone (frozen) when I leave, and I am hoping that will keep him so occupied that he won't get into mischief. ;) He has one of those big, smoked bones that I let him chew on for only 15 to 20 minutes at a time, but this will be his first real marrow bone.

He is such a quick learner, once I can get him to understand what I want from him. He is still a bit skittish if you reach for him or try to grab him, but he has stopped flattening down when you raise your voice or raise your hand to pet him. Bud goes into the crate willingly now in the morning when I am ready for work, jumps in the van very happily, waits until I take his leash before he gets out, and in general is just a joy. I can't believe we haven't even had him for two weeks!

Oh yes, we decided that we will celebrate his birthday on the 4th of July - let's just hope he isn't bothered by foreworks! ;D

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
He sounds like a wonderful pup. :)

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Buddy sounds like he is really fitting in. Isn't it amazing what love can do? I am so happy for you & Bill &, of course, Buddy too. :)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I bet you pinch yourself every so often to make sure having Buddy isn't a dream. He sounds like a dream come true! Good dog, Buddy. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
What a good report! Buddy sounds like a great dog, I'm glad you found each other.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Jackie, this really made me smile. I am so glad it's going so well!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Atta boy Buddy !! I guess he was just meant for you !!!

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Jackie, I did not know you got a pup while I was away. THAT"S GREAT!!!

I hope you have many happy years together and he does very well with his training. He has some awful big paw prints to fill there.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Way to go Buddy. I am so glad he is adapting so well.

I am glad you picked a birthday for him. When my BR and family adopted Cierra (other dog in siggy) on May 13th last year they were told she was about 2. As May 14th is my BR birthday they decided that would be Cierra's birthday also so they had a joint party this year. It was really nice fixed her favorite foods grilled chicken and lamb chops.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts