Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's so cold here that I've broken out Ms. Gandy's blanket. This is a rare sight for us! But she was stylin' in her plaid jammies and will have them on tonight as well (it's going to dip into the teens here tonight, very cold weather for us).

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Pretty! She looks cozy in her blanket. :D

It's 18 here at 10:30. Definitely not normal for Mississippi! It was so cold walking the boys to school this morning.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
It was -19 last night and Toby doesn't have a blanket. Neither does Dot (29) and Gracie (11). Though the plaid looks stylin' on Gandy.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't you worry about frostbite?

I had a filly that got lame due to the cold when we were in Ohio. I've heard of some horses and cows getting frostbite on their ears. We aren't THAT cold, but my girl is 20 years old, so the blanket is just my way of making me feel better on these nights, I'm sure she'd be okay.

I did think of your Toby when I bundled her up last night.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
They're in a shed together. That blanket won't help their ears though. They'd need a hood with ear pieces.

Yeah, of course I worry, but I know he's got enough sense to go into the shed with the mares and stay together.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
love the blanket. when it gets this cold out, i worry about chubby. he has a blanket but all the horses are in single stalls so there is no one to cuddle up with. going down to -10 tonight and that's without the windchill. i'll see how he did tomorrow when i go out there.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I just got back from checking on Toby and the girls. They were outside eating hay. Checked all of them and none were shivering (it's a whopping 5° right now with a -10° wc). Nobody was chilled, they all were happy. Water tank has a patch of open water due to the tank heater.
It was all good.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Plus they can sweat under the blankets and then the sweat freezes. It happens all the time at the rescue.

I put my hand near the groins of Dot, Gracie and Toby when I was out there and they were warm.

I can't wait for it to be 20 next week so I can ride. :happy:

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our horses don't get heavy enough winter coats here (like ya'll get in those northern states). So when the temps get down like this, it's very hard on them. Of course they could survive without a blanket. But, YES, they do shiver. You could argue shivering makes them warm too. I prefer to let her wear her blanket 8)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
That's fine Linda. Just don't judge me because I choose not to put a blanket on my horse. If I felt he needed one, he'd have one. He doesn't, so he doesn't. He gets no grain, just hay. Hay keeps him warm enough.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Um, why do you think I'm judging you? You came back at me with the "they sweat" thing. All I did was ask you if you were concerned about frostbite? It's **** cold up there where you are. I was simply worried. I've had horses for over 40 years. I'm very capable of taking care of my horse, and am equally able to worry about a horse in the conditions yours (or ANY northern horse exposed to those extreme temps) is currently in.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
labby said:
I can't wait for it to be 20 next week so I can ride. :happy:
me neither. i'm headed out tomorrow just to do stalls and give chubby a good brush down. this has definitely been a horrible winter for riding so far. so cold all the time. we aren't out of the teens until later this week.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I found you condescending in your remarks, Linda. Yes I am a new horse owner, but not exactly new to horses. The only person I know who blankets horses in this area is the person who owns the rescue. I see the sweating under the blankets and the freezing of the sweat and the aftermath of the chilling which to me is worse than being without a blanket in the first place.

Regardless, your horse looks adorable in the plaid as I said the first time.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found your remarks equally condescending. I still don't fathom anything in what I replied to you to be condescending. Me thinks perhaps you are insecure? and read comments with the wrong intonation on forums. It happens.

Anyway, lets just face it. We are like two ***** dogs that don't get along. Thankfully not everyone has to agree on this forum.

And, I still worry about your boy, and those older gals, in the cold.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts