Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to hijack Felicia's thread for poor Henery. I thought I post this before, but now realize that was probably two years ago.

HK had some significant dental issues as a pup. All 6 of her upper incisors either didn't come in or rotted immediately. She had enamel issues with several other of her adult teeth. The result was to head for the U of MN Vetinerary Dental School for treatment.

Getting to the point, I got a long list of what I needed to do to take care of the teeth she still has, and then general cautionary notes. The one item that stuck in my head hard was the primary casuses of tooth breakage in our canines, all breeds.

(1) Bully Sticks
(2) Nylabones (the 'non-edible' edible ones)
(3) Cooked smaller marrow bones

What they recommended if I felt that I had to give her something to gnaw on was Large Raw marrow bones. Raw because they are not as hard, have enough moisture left in them that lubricates them enough for the dogs teeth to slip off them. Large because it tends to prevent the dog from biting down on them. More of an on the side grinding.

They also noted that rawhide is great relative to the teeth, but carries a significant risk of blockage if the dog has a tendency to swallow large pieces.
So, I posted it again for whatever it is worth to anyone.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Good info. I do give mine bully sticks. They love them.

Ruger has worn his teeth down to the gum line on one side of his mouth from the tennis ball (warning.. the fuzz on tennis balls acts like sandpaper and will destroy their teeth). My vet said he's okay though. She said they rarely ever have to remove teeth that are worn down... usually only have to remove them if they break/crack.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info. I do give mine bully sticks. They love them.

Ruger has worn his teeth down to the gum line on one side of his mouth from the tennis ball (warning.. the fuzz on tennis balls acts like sandpaper and will destroy their teeth). My vet said he's okay though. She said they rarely ever have to remove teeth that are worn down... usually only have to remove them if they break/crack.
I was thinking breakage when I posted. Yes! The cover on the better tennis balls is fiberglass. A great abrasive. We fetch with tennis balls, but HK is not allowed to chew on them, and fortunately she doesn't. She can't afford to lose any enamel.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
What they recommended if I felt that I had to give her something to gnaw on was Large Raw marrow bones. Raw because they are not as hard, have enough moisture left in them that lubricates them enough for the dogs teeth to slip off them. Large because it tends to prevent the dog from biting down on them. More of an on the side grinding.
Gotta disagree about Large raw marrow bones. Derby used to get those and broke his fourth premolar on them and had to have the tooth extracted. People who feed raw will often say not give dogs any weightbearing bones as they are too hard.

He gets frozen turkey necks for his teeth now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.