Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I got my Amazon order the other day and I am officially prepared for the next deer tick Guthrie gets. I have cursed and stomped in frustration at not being able to remove them in the past. They are so tiny and when they latch onto Guthrie his skin it swells up around their mouthpiece making them impossible to remove. I always end up with the mouthpiece imbedded in Guthries skin. It makes me insane.

Hopefully, I will be singing a victory song the next time I find one. I now have the "TiCKed Off" tick remover and the "TICK Key"

Anyone else have experience with either of these removers?

Also, when you find a tick crawling on your dog, what do you do with it? How about when you remove one? How do you dispose of it?

In the past I had always flushed them down the toilet but lately, when I see one crawling on Guthrie, I just take a piece of scotch tape and seal the dang critter inside.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Never heard of Ticked Off, have no idea if it will work or not. Have heard of the Tick Key, nice little tool to pull the tick off, hopefully it pulls the head also, if not then there is a chance for infection.

I only use Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks, every 45 days both dogs get a application between their shoulder bladed, never had a problem with the little insects.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
We use Frontline also and have been lucky so far. I usually catch them before they latch on.

As far as disposal? Flush 'em. Unless you're really "ticked" - then you can light them with a match. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I usually squish them with the backside of a spoon and then throw them in the garbage. When I was little my mom got one off of my sister and tried to burn it in an ashtray and it disappeared from the ashtray. I spent the entire night awake because i just knew that tick was going to make it all the way down the hall from the kitchen to our room and get on me, so now i take no chances!!!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I keep a little vial (pill bottle) with hand sanitizer with me/training bag/in the house and plop the ticks in there. It kills almost instantly and I am amazed at how many I end up pulling off the dogs. The vial is easy to keep in your pocket and seals tightly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.