Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just came about today. We were outside for a little bit playing on the grass, so I don't know if that's where it came from?

They literally look like someone drew on her with a bright red marker..

These are a LOT more red than the fly bites she had last season.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
biting gnats. They're out really bad in the spring. They bite and fill themselves full of blood. They leave behind those red spots. There are times when my dogs' bellys and privates are just filled with those red spots.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
biting gnats. They're out really bad in the spring. They bite and fill themselves full of blood. They leave behind those red spots. There are times when my dogs' bellys and privates are just filled with those red spots.
Oh crap, Laura! I thought they looked like bites, but I wasn't sure. I know Abbey's had the bites from the flies before, but these were SO much more red.

Just glad to know that they aren't something crazy serious.

Do they go away in a day or so?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
A couple of days only to be replaced with more. The gnats here are really bad. They crawl in your hair and bite your scalp. They're all over the horses right now as well as the dogs and me.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a "lovely" pond right behind my apartment, which is probably a breeding ground for the stupid things. They are EVERYWHERE outside right now, so I am not surprised that they are the culprit behind the spots!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yep - Snicks has the exact same bites all over her belly after this weekend too. She gets them every year.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer has them too. I took him to the vet on Saturday (he was going for a check-up anyway). She said that it looked like insect bites (didn't specify the insect). Flying gnats make sense . . . I was out doing yard work yesterday, and was swarmed constantly. Bauer doesn't seem bothered by them, does Abbey?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts