Just Labradors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here for some time and appreciate all the great information and insights. We are looking for a lab puppy primarily as a family companion. I've been talking with several breeders in the VA/MD area and was contacted by one that has puppies ready to go home. I'm quite nervous about adding the new family member as it is a both a monetary and emotional investment. Breeder I am talking about is Deep Run farms, does anyone have any feedback on them? Any insight about them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

·
Registered
3 Posts
There’s a HUGE difference between show, hunting and pet quality Labs. I recommend taking lots of time to research and educate yourself. Dog shows, obedience and hunting trials might be a place
to start. It’s worth doing this up-front so you get a dog that suits your family’s lifestyle. Also, any reputable breeder will ask lots of questions to match you with one of their puppies. Good luck and take your time. The breeder you referenced seems focused on hunting dogs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First, research the heck out of an American lab, a British Lab, an English lab and whether you want a male or female. Big differences. The big blocky head English or American are a bit more confirmation/show and alot of them are a bit more laid back if that's what you want. I don't hunt but I like a small female British field dog because they are really athletic, love to swim and retrieve, are very trainable as a companion even though i don't hunt. Since covid, most of the really good breeders are 12 months out if you want one of their dogs. i put a deposit down on mine 1/2021 and will get her this November due to high demand. Don't skimp on breeder and be prepared to pay from $1,500 to $2,500 from a strong breeder. In my opinion, not in every case cuz you may get lucky, but if a dog is available for pickup today or soon, I'd pass and wait. Again, prepare to wait a number of months for a pup. Also, ask for Pedigree chart and health records of breeding. This is a 14 year committment. Sounds like you have a lot more research to do. Picking the wrong dog could be miserable so do your homework. If you pick the temperament you want, male/female and buy from a strong breeder it's hard to go wrong unless you don't bond and put the time in. Pick up the dog at 7 or 8 weeks and begin your hopefully 14 years or more of love and companionship. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts