Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the fall of '08, I started a thread about Steel Cut Oats (SCO) for breakfast, different ways of cooking the buggers (they usually take much time) and additions to SCO for added flavor. Others added to the thread which is at
http://justlabradors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95831

For some months, I've been adding a small handful of Craisins (sweetened dried cranberries), several prunes, 4 dried apricots, plus a small handful of dried blueberries to be cooked with the SCO. The amount of water added to the SCOs needs to be increased to fit the requirements of sufficiently swelling the dried fruit.

Lately, to this mix, just before serving I've been adding some fresh banana pieces (from 1/2 banana).

OMG! Delicious!!! I think fresh banana and cooked SCOs alone would be great, too, but the banana blends really nicely with the other fruit, too.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I could eat the same breakfast everyday. Glad it works for you.
They're so healthy! And, you can vary the flavors -- walnuts & raisins, as Peggy suggested, or cinnamon & raisins, or different fruits or combinations of fruits.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Bob, are these healthier than the regular oats we buy in the store?

I've been buying a hot cereal called "Wheatini" It's a whole wheat cooked cereal. I really like it, but you do have to cook it longer.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob, are these healthier than the regular oats we buy in the store?

I've been buying a hot cereal called "Wheatini" It's a whole wheat cooked cereal. I really like it, but you do have to cook it longer.
I have no idea. I tried googling the question but didn't get any answer. But whole oats, I suspect, are probably healthier than whole wheat. As for a difference between flaked, rolled oatmeal and SCOs, I can tell you that unquestionably a breakfast of SCOs fills me up and keeps hunger pangs away so well I sometimes skip lunch. The flaked, rolled oats don't do that for me.

SCOs take the longest to cook of any breakfast food I've ever seen. If you look back in the thread I referenced, I think at some point I described the various methods I used to beat the time thing. Now I use a Zojirushi induction heat rice cooker -- add all the ingredients, set it on "porridge," and come back anywhere from 50 minutes to 8 hours later, serve and eat it.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I saw the steel cut oats in the store that you buy, I think I'll get some the next time I shop. I'd like to try them.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Love oats of any kind but Bob is right.. sco's are the best and yes.. all the added fruits, nuts and some honey or brown sugar!! YUMMY...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'd love to try that. Can you tell me how, please?

These are 2 recipes I tried and liked...the only negative...they are kind of "diet" so they aren't as yummy as they probably could be...for those on WW, I think I calculated 3 points per serving...

Pumpkin

2 Cups rinsed SCO
1 (12 oz) can fat free evaporated milk
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
5 1/2 cups water
1 cup Splenda
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup

Put it all in a crockpot, mix until there are no pumpkin chunks and cook on low for 8 hours.

I actually thought it tasted better the second day (I THINK this is approx 6 servings)

I also made apple pie SCO...subsitute cinnamon for pumpkin pie spice, substitute 2 cups of unsweetened applesauce for pumpkin, add 2 chopped apples and 4 cinnamon sticks

Let me know what you think! (I got the recipes from somewhere online, they weren't mine so if it sucks, you won't hurt my feelings :) )

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
They sound delicious. I'm going to try this on the weekend. I'm actually glad they're diet too. I'm not too keen on the splenda thing, but I'll adapt. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
They sound delicious. I'm going to try this on the weekend. I'm actually glad they're diet too. I'm not too keen on the splenda thing, but I'll adapt. Thank you!
I am not a Splenda fan either...the recipe won't win any awards at the Betty Crocker Bake Off, but it is palatable for those of us trying to slim down ;)

One other thing...it is a MESS to clean after...I had my crockpot soaking for hours!!

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I love steel cut oats, but have to make them the night before if I want them. Lately I've been eating Coach's Oats which I got at Costco. They have the texture of steel cut oats (at least it's close to it), but can microwave in just a few minutes. I buy a thing of craisins and put a handful of those in too.

http://www.coachsoats.com/

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I tried to eat a bowl of regular oatmeal after eating the SCO for at least six months, I just didnt want to stand at the stove. The regular oatmeal was terrible it me! I tried to spice it up with crasins & nuts but ended up putting it out for the birds! I will forward the rest to the extended family kids, no more for us! We are sticking with the SCO from now on.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to eat a bowl of regular oatmeal after eating the SCO for at least six months, I just didnt want to stand at the stove. The regular oatmeal was terrible it me!
I love steel cut oats, but have to make them the night before if I want them.
They do take a lot of time to cook, don't they?

I partially solved that problem for a while by cooking 4-5 breakfasts worth in an evening and then dividing the contents into 4-5 ramekins as individual servings. Then, in the morning I'd dump a ramekin's SCOs into a Pyrex bowl with a slight amount of rolled, flaked oats, whatever dried fruit chosen, and the proper amount of water for the fruit & flake oats. Brought the water to a boil and then microwaved on reduced heat (to simmer) for about 20 minutes. No stirring needed.

But then I got a Zojirushi Rice Cooker and now I just add everything, hit the porridge cook button, and it's done in about an hour. (Some ZRC MENU buttons cook faster but this is the setting I like best.) And the ZRC also makes great rice as well as some casseroles (e.g., tomato/spaghetti sauce, rice, shrimp or chicken pieces, etc.).

But I think many rice cookers would also work well for SCOs. If you have one and also like SCOs it's worth a try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts