Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brandi just turned 5 months old.

I had her registered for 8 weeks of obedience training. Classes were to start this week.
I get an email telling me that there was an issue with the heat at the training facility, and because of this, classes had to pushed back a bit.
The first available class would start in mid-June. That would make Brandi almost 8 months old.

This concerns me.

Should I be frantically looking for a school, or should I wait this out, even though Brandi will be 8 months?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Hmm. Although it is never too late for a training class, 7 1/2 months is a little late for puppy classes. I'm not sure how an issue with the heat in the facility means the classes must be pushed back for nearly 2 months. I think I would provisionally keep your place in that class but search for another one in the mean time. If you find another class that you like within the next two months, stick with it and drop the other one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The classes are given in a old airplane hanger. From what I can gather, the heat was an issue (I assume that means broken) during the winter, so they cancelled lots of classes.
This school has been there for 60 years, and comes highly recommended by just about everyone I speak to.
Geez, I wish someone would have let me know this sooner, I basically wasted a whole month waiting, only to hear this.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but knowing what I got out of Sally's puppy obedience classe, I'd look for another one now. See if you can find one that uses the methods you are interested in. Sally's classes were invaluable to both her and us. It really taught me how to work with her....the right attitudes and approaches....how to go about getting her to do things.

And of course the interactions with other people and dogs were great socialization for her.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I agree with Trickster...keep your place in this class but also look around. If you find another one, great, go ahead and enroll, and then when they do get the heat fixed, take that class too. Then you will have something to compare :)

It is best to start training before eight months. However, Simon was seven months before we got him, so that put him right around eight months when he started classes. He was a bit old for puppy class, of course, so he started in Level 1. By the time he got there I had already worked with him quite a bit on sit, down, stay, and come, which is all they really focus on in Level 1, so he was not "behind" in any way. In fact, he was one of the more advanced in the class! So, a lot has to do with what training time you put in at home. :)

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I agree with Connie. Find another in the meantime, but take both.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I agree with Connie. I enrolled Tal in class at 6 months and by then he had been going to daycare for awhile, I had worked with him and so he started in the first adult dog training class. They said one of the primary purposes of puppy training class is socialization and he already had that.

Having said that tho, I echo what others said. Absent daycare experiences, puppy class can be an invaluable socialization skill builder.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
I also agree w/what everyone has said.
I'd definitely look around for another class. Brandi will benefit a lot if she takes a class now, at 5 months. We started Zoe as soon as she finished her puppy shots, at about 4 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts