Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate thoughts on these options. I have to take another 3 credits this summer to be able to receive aid so I can take the course I NEED to take.

Option #1: Business course: International Financial Management.
Pros: Business course, probably more interesting for me, academically better as long as I succeed in it
Cons: During the same 8 week portion of the summer as my required course (which means I'll be taking two difficult courses at once), is also during the day (which means I'll have to take 12-13 hrs of vacation for 8 weeks and only work 29 hrs per week... boss will probably let me do this but I'll kinda "owe" her)

Option #2: African Dance
Pros: BURN CALORIES LIKE MAD!!! Physical activity... no academic portion of this class.
Cons: 4 nights per week for 4 weeks straight... during my required course. So... I'd be in work/school all day Mon-Fri, and in african dance class for 2 hrs Mon-Thurs night. Also miss out on Scottish Country Dance (monday nights)

Option #3: Some stupid online course like Art History 101 etc.
Pros: Doesn't interfere with work/school. Could take this later in the summer so I wouldn't even be having to do work in this class while trying to focus on my required course.
Cons: Usually online courses are a lot more writing than regular classes (and less tests)... I abhore writing. This course also costs $300 extra (which would be covered by FinAid but I'd have to pay back eventually)

I'm leaning towards #1 and biting the bullet on using all that vacation (2/3 of my yearly allotment) but #2 is very tempting.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Hehe #2 does sound pretty fun!!! I think it would be cool to take just a "fun" class and not have to worry about the academics.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
If it were me I would vote for option 3 so that my life is disrupted as little as possible - but I am old and very set in my ways. :)

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Linds - it's summer, you do have to work and also deserve, esp at your age, to be able to have some fun - do #3 but see if you can find something you'd enjoy online...

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just so you all know... Option #1 doesn't affect me financially at all. I'd use vacation hours to be paid as normal.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
that's fine - but you do deserve a life...AND..do you really wanna be that busy if Ender needs to stay with you? (pushing buttons, aren't I?)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I'd do #1 just so it's over and done with more quickly. Plus it could be useful for you.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I like #3. You are young so enjoy life. I would find an on-line class that goes quickly.

Or is there a 4th possibility? Does your school have a mini-sesson class that meets for 5 or 6 hours every Saturday like mine did in the summer they went 3 weeks I think? Then it is over and done with quickly and you don't have to use your vacation.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
#1 would be more help to you in the long run. You'd still have the Scottish dance for fun and exercise.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Lindsay -- have you taken serious, important course before in the summer? If so, how did you do?

I've taken them a few times and hated the daily intensity -- no time for letting things seep in, always cramming.

Also, I've taught summer school courses many times and found the pace always brutal for both students and prof -- one has to cover in about 8 weeks of daily 60 minute classes that which is usually covered in three 50 minute classes/week for 16 weeks.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I've taken up to 7 classes during the summer--upper level engineering courses. I took 12 hours one summer while still working full time. It's hard but it's doable if you're motivated. Summer classes IME are not harder, but easier, as the teacher gets behind and you learn less. The 2 hours per course twice a week is what sucks the most.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Summer classes IME are not harder, but easier, as the teacher gets behind and you learn less.
Well, if learning less of a subject is really a desirable outcome for you. But what if it's in a subject crucial to your area of study? Or in a subject you liked very much?

The 2 hours per course twice a week is what sucks the most.
Have to agree with you there -- either in the taking or in the teaching. :)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
If it weren't the summer, I'd pick option 1. But given the extra time demands and pressures that condensed classes require, I'd give yourself a break. Is there an online class that would do what you need but also might fit with your greater degree objectives?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I'll rephrase...you don't really "learn less", but teachers tend to cut the fluff and shorten projects, which I never have a problem with. For example, in one class we did fewer case studies. All my classes were required classes and I was never negatively affected. BUT, if these classes are in an area you might struggle in, I wouldn't advise it. Math/engineering and such comes easy for me, so it was never a problem to take multiple challenging classes in the summer.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
What about taking a course for audit only--would you still get financial aid for that? If so, I would go with #1 but audit the non-required course. That way, if you get behind, you get behind and it's OK. It still counts as experience but won't negatively affect your GPA. Taking it pass/fail might be another option if your school allows that. My work has paid for me and several others to audit courses with justification.

I keep editing...but anyway, sometimes you can enroll as a regular student and then convert to pass/fail after a few weeks, too. So if it is becoming too much, convert, if not, you still get the GPA boost. So yet another idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts