Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
How sad! I just found out at work today that the boyfriend of one of our former teachers has been missing since going out on the ice to rescue his dog and fallling through. :( I've been seeing the headlines for about a week now, but never read the story. Saturday's headlines said they were stopping the search.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
My mom's house backs up to a pond. There are houses all around the pond on 3 sides and then woods. Lately we had a run where lows were in the teens and the pond froze over. She sent me pics of kids and dogs walking on the ice. I was really shocked. I think people, especially kids, just don't think. Of course here ponds rarely freeze over. But if I knew my kids were getting out on icy ponds I would beat their asses. It's just too easy for a tragedy to occur.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
That's very sad.

Sam fell through the ice at the turtle pond in Warren Park last year. I was pregnant so I wasn't going in after her. I went in up to my knees and then bashed the ice to break it so she could swim back to me. Now truth be told she could have swam out the other direction, but she wasn't looking in that direction and she was starting to panic because she couldn't pull herself back up onto the ice. My BIL had the same thing happen with his dog the week or so before Sam went in. I got the ice bashing idea from his experience.............

So, if you dog goes through the ice, if you can stand as close as you can to the shore and bash the ice (if the ice is thin enough for your dog to go through you should be able to break it), so the dog can swim back to you.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I think many of you know the best dog park we have here has a river as its border on one side. HK loves the river and retrieving from it, as do so many of the dogs. Once the water turns cold, I start trying to keep HK out of it. To be honest, its because whe really won't dry off at all before we get back to the car. But once ice starts forming, its no river for her. That is about the only time she will have the ecollar on at the DP. She is pretty good at listening, but the river is one of the distractions that sometimes turns her ears off. I will not let her go out on the ice. I know I will go in after her, but I don't want to be put in that position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.