Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congrats to Canada on the win!

In a sport Canada invented, nothing less than gold would do. And when the women's hockey team had it in hand, the joy and champagne overflowed.

The players stormed back onto the ice half an hour after beating the United States 2-0 on Thursday and staged a raucous celebration — smoking cigars and swigging beer and bubbly.

Haley Irwin poured champagne into the mouth of Tessa Bonhomme, gold medals swinging from both their necks. Meghan Agosta and Marie-Philip Poulin posed with goofy grins.

Goalies Charline Labonte and Kim St-Pierre posed at center ice for Poulin, lying on their stomachs with a giant bottle of champagne resting just above the Olympic rings.

Rebecca Johnston actually tried to commandeer the ice-resurfacing machine.

Poulin, who scored both goals for Canada, doesn't turn 19 — legal drinking age in British Columbia — until next month. The drinking age in Alberta, where the Canadian team trains, is 18. Photos showed Poulin on the ice with a beer in her hand.

Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games, said the antics were "not what we want to see."

"If they celebrate in the changing room, that's one thing," he said, "but not in public."

In a statement released late Thursday, Hockey Canada apologized.

"The members of Team Canada apologize if their on-ice celebrations, after fans had left the building, have offended anyone," the statement said. "In the excitement of the moment, the celebration left the confines of our dressing room and shouldn't have. The team regrets that its gold medal celebration may have caused the IOC or COC any embarrassment.

"Our players and team vow to uphold the values of the Olympics moving forward and view this situation as a learning experience."
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=9951436

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Maybe not the ideal image the Olympics wants. But no big deal. It wasn't poor sportsmanship, just a genuine celebration. And what says Canada more than hockey and beer?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
oh.. and "ice resurfacing machine" wtf? who doesn't know what a zamboni is?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Side note, the legal drinking age where Poulin was born and bred is 18.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with what they did.

Women's hockey has fought, and fought HARD to get where they are. The Olympic event only exists due to the dogged determination and perseverence of a small handful of women, and I am proud to say those women were Canadian. It was a long struggle, and as someone who's time passed before the long hard fight to be in the Olympics became a reality, I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with what they did. Nothing.

We play hard for our country and proudly, and let me also say, that the Stadium was empty of all fans. I am being presumptuous when I say this, but I think these photos were released solely to bring down their high by American reporters. It was quite clear last night who the sore loser were - the bronze medalists showed far more dignity and class then the silver medalists, and having been in all three shoes, #1, #2, and #3, I see no reason for the US girls to not have been happy last night. Yes, you are sad that you didn't get the gold you coveted, but people! you are still representing your country and you should be a little happier about being 2nd in the World.... (this is just my personal rant here)

AND furthermore, where are the photos of all the other Canadian medalists celebrating in the streets, or various venues after their wins? Cause they are out there - so why pick just this particular event?

I really think this is just some stupid attempt at sensationalism to mar the girls' win last night.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
They have been selling 5,000+ beers a day at the Olympic rink, it is about time the athletes got to enjoy a few.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I agree, who the hell cares- they earned it and they deserve to celebrate. It said this occurred" after the fans had left the building" Now the fact that they are underage may be something the team may want to deal with,but I say let them CELEBRATE!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Oh for **** sake. They should be thankful there wasn't a riot. Doesn't the IOC have more pressing issues to worry about? Like illegal signage or something. That whole organization needs an enema.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Of course they staged a celebration - who wouldn't?! Ridiculous that they'd have to apologize.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I dunno, Kar.. i've won silver a few times in my years and i know it can be really disappointing.. the bronze was a bit different, they're coming off a win, the silver is technically coming off a loss.. i don't blame the US girls for being disappointed.. i would have been and i bet so would have our girls.

But this is dumb.. winning gold on home ice is something these girls will never experience again.. let them have their moment. One month shy of 19 isn't exactly a scandal.. and i bet most of the people upset by that have had a few before they were of legal age. The IOC has to say /something/ to the media .. "we'll look into this" seems to be their way to placate them.. i'm sure the IOC doesn't give a **** about what happened.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I dunno, Kar.. i've won silver a few times in my years and i know it can be really disappointing.. the bronze was a bit different, they're coming off a win, the silver is technically coming off a loss.. i don't blame the US girls for being disappointed.. i would have been and i bet so would have our girls.

But this is dumb.. winning gold on home ice is something these girls will never experience again.. let them have their moment. One month shy of 19 isn't exactly a scandal.. and i bet most of the people upset by that have had a few before they were of legal age. The IOC has to say /something/ to the media .. "we'll look into this" seems to be their way to placate them.. i'm sure the IOC doesn't give a **** about what happened.
Your right I had more then a
few before I was 21, in fact I did most of my partying before I was legal. Hell I had a kid when I was 21 and legal, life was pretty much over at that point : )) : )) Again let them enjoy their fun, they earned/ deserve it!!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts

I agree, I don't think you can fault someone for being disappointed after a loss . . . in any sport. Jennifer Heil was accused of being a sore loser after winning silver in the moguls . . . losing is disappointing! I did have to laugh when the IOC said they would look into it, because I thought . . . what are they going to look into? It happened, its over . . . who cares?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts

I'm not saying it's not sad - but jesus, did you see the pissy looks on their faces? There were a few who were able to get through the sadness of defeat and smile, and accept the medal with grace and dignity. That's what I'm talking about here, grace and dignity in accepting something for your country.

We had our asses handed to us by the US over the years (and when I say us, I mean me and the team I was on- my generation of players was the generation fighting to have our sport recognized anywhere) and it wasn't ever pleasant, but we accepted our little medals with grace and dignity, not pissy we lost and can't look the presenter in the eye attitudes. That to me is just despicable.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I'd have to agree with all the others that say who gives a rat's ass? They just won. Imagine that, they were happy and celebrated. Likewise, if you think someone who just lost should have plastered on a fake smile, well that's really just the opposite side of the same coin.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts