Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a King fan since reading "The Stand" in paperback. His latest -- Under the Dome -- is a bit of an echo of "The Stand," w/many similar themes but on a micro, not a macro, level.

King paints with some pretty broad brushes, and his ending is both somewhat predictable (he writes himself into more or less of a corner) and somewhat unsatisfying (the manner in which the villain is handled is good but I wanted it to be great), but it is apt.

Not his best work, but clearly not his worst. Definitely recommendable.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One critic had this to say regarding the size: At this weight, it's tough to pick up. But the story is so good, it's tough to put down!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Just finished it! Read the last few hundred pages in one sitting - he is a great story-teller, and I love a long story (I also liked The Stand).

One of his shorter (and creepier) books is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gorden -- a classic little-girl-lost-in-the-woods tale, where there is something Out There.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I thought Under the Dome was a very good read. Luckily, I read it on my nook as to save my wrist from major damage. :) The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was a very quick summer read, and I enjoyed it very much as well... I actually consider Needful Things my favorite King novel, but haven't yet read them all, so the jury is still out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One of his shorter (and creepier) books is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gorden -- a classic little-girl-lost-in-the-woods tale, where there is something Out There.
I'm going to have to check that one out. It sounds good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts