Just Labradors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by Julie Powell. 365 Days. 524 Recipes.

I saw that the movie was coming out so I wanted to read the book. Great read! Absolutely hysterical! I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud and made my husband read passages because it is so funny!

Julie Powell is turning 30. Happily married to her high school sweetheart. No kids. She moved to NYC to become an actress, but what she really is...is a secretary. Having a mid life crisis and being prone to overreaction and melodrama...she and her husband come upon the idea that she should try to attempt all the recipes in Vol. I of Julia Child's cookbook in one year...and blog about it. The blog became so popular that they had her write this book with more back story and now the movie..

You will pee your pants. She has such a way about her...muscling through these horrendously difficult recipes and trying to find ingredients that nobody uses any more...all the while coping with controlling parents, a depressing job and a hell-hole of an apartment. Not as many recipes as I thought. And very little Julia Child... the movie is obviously taking liberties here.

But I can't tell you enough times to read this book!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Casting Meryl Streep as Julia Child is sheer genius!

And Amy Adams is as cute as ever.

This has chick-flick written all over it, but I may go......

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Saw the movie over the wknd. Streep is as stunning as I expected. She IS Julia Child.

And Amy Adams is cute-as-a-button. Even when Julie Powell is a little.... out-there.

I did like how, even when Julie found a reason NOT to worship Julia anymore, she continued anyhow.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I just finished the book. Liked it very much. Hated for it to end actually. I found the blog and I'm going to read that through eventually.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I read and thoroughly enjoyed the book before it became a big hype due to the movie. Finally saw the movie over the weekend, and while Meryl Streep nailed Julia Child, I loved the book much more.

I just finished reading Julie Powell's Cleaving as well, it was pretty good!! :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Just had to resurrect this old thread - just saw the movie last night. I thought it was great, but it made me very hungry..! I'm totally going to buy Julia Child's cookbook now. I think I'm in a mood for some experimental French cooking :) :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts