Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food" and "The Omnivore's Dilemma" best sellers, award winners, and/or rated one of ten best books of the year, has written this "Cliff Notes" version of food recommendations.

He gives 50 Rules with a paragraph or two explanation for each.

Examples of Rules:

2. Don't eat anything your grandmother would not recognize as food.

3. Avoid food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry.

4. Avoid food products containing high fructose corn syrup.

7. Avoid food products containing ingredients that a third grader can't pronounce.

12. Shop the peripheries of a supermarket and stay out of the middle.
(Because highly processed foods tend to be in the middle while meats, dairy, vegetables tend to be on the peripheries)

18. Don't ingest foods made in places where everyone is required to wear a surgical cap.

34. Sweeten and salt your food yourself.

36. Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk.

43. Have a glass of wine with dinner.

46. Stop eating before you're full.
(Stop when you're no longer hungry.)

Excellent book.

About $5 + S&H from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Rules-Ea...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

ETA: AUDIO UPDATE: The link below gives a recent Nat'l Public Radio segment with Michael Pollan

http://www.npr.org/templates/player...n=1&t=1&islist=false&id=124277131&m=124285927

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rules are all in In Defense of Food as well, which Is essential reading, along with The Omnivore's Dilemma.
I'm not at all surprised that you've read those books, T -- it shows in your recipes and eating habits!! :smile:

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
It's CLIFFS Notes b.t.w.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
:mod: grammar police on the lookout.

I love that he wrote this book because I think it makes the "rules" from Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food more accessible. I liked both of them, don't get me wrong, but not everyone has the patience or desire to wade through 200+ pages on corn between the two books.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It's CLIFFS Notes b.t.w.
I just looked it up.

It's not CLIFFS Notes.

It's CliffsNotes

Their url is www.cliffsnotes.com

Will you please let them know they've been misspelling it? :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.