Just Labradors banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finnished reading this book for the third time. So in other words this is gonna be a good review ;).

Borrowed Light is set in Australia with 16 year old Calisto (named after Jupiters largest moon) finds herself lost in her dysfunctional family. Her only solace is found in the company of her sweet little brother Jeremy who she has pretty much raised due to her emotionally absent mother. And also her love of celestial bodies studying the planets and stars with her opinionated astrophysicist. Calisto likes to lump people into catagories of Moons and stars. Calisto considers herself a moon who feeds off the "borrowed light" from the more charismatic individuals in her life like her brother Jeremy and surfer boyfriend. But all of a sudden faced with a unexpected and unwanted pregnancy Calisto must come out of the shadows and make some serious choices. The book in written in a very poetic beautiful way but also is very relatable being a moon myself ;). Everyone I know who has read this book as absolutely loved it and felt for this young ignored girl. And even if readers don't agree with her choices in the end you still don't find yourself hating her but loving and understanding her. Its a very deep and moving story. It is considered a young adult novel but like I said it speaks to all ages. Five out of five stars for this wonderful book.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts