Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I would tell my copy-editing students that if they end up in a situation where they have to choose "bombasticity," then probably recasting is in order. :)

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theoconbrio said:
I would tell my copy-editing students that if they end up in a situation where they have to choose "bombasticity," then probably recasting is in order. :)
Is it correct to say "his bombasticity blew me away?" (This is how we pass the time at these all day meetings ::))

Have any good $25.00 words for our meeting tomorrow???

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
einsteins legacy said:
theoconbrio said:
Is it correct to say "his bombasticity blew me away?" (This is how we pass the time at these all day meetings ::))
In that context, you could probably say either "bombasticity" or "bombasticness"--neither is exactly wrong, although neither will get you style points.

I would probably say that "He was so bombastic that it blew me away."

What about "bombasticality"? :p

Edited to say that "bombasticity" is really growing on me! Let me try using it in a haiku:

Bombasticity
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Ick, arena rock!

:D

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Pucilanemous is always a good word to toss around. I don't care if I dunt even speel it right.

Pucilanemous: as in extraneous and tiresome and useless verbal baggage..

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Paddysmom said:
I don't care if I dunt even speel it right.
:p

I think it's "pusillanimous." But you're right, it's a cool word!

I ran across "cynosure" in something I was working on recently. It means "center of attraction."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts