Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest is Winston, he's black, he chewed off his tail as a pup. That is no exaggeration, he developed what the vet called cold tail, where his tail tingled and he chewed it. Needless to say with a active pup slinging his tail there was no healing to it. We tried everything from plastic conduit covers my husband made to condoms (no joke) to wrapping it. He just chewed it off and slung blood all over my house...lol Finally the last resort was the docking of the tail at the age of 8 months. He came through great and has been great ever since. I thought I would share that with ya'll and see if anyone else has had this bizzre happening.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
RIder had cold tail...but he just looked pathetic, and we gave him asprin for it.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We had to have Skippy's tail docked 2 years ago - his was so long and heavy and he just kept banging it and banging it against stuff. Once it opened up, there was no healing it either - and he never even looked at it himself - it was all from banging. I giggled when I read that you used condoms. That's the best bandage that we found for his tail when it was bleeding and he was slinging blood all over. I would put a Kotex over the end, then slip a condom over it, then some gauze wrapping for "looks" and then fastened it on with duct tape. Worked like a breeze!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts