Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kolby and Abbey are both kitty poop thieves. Not only that, but Kolby has also wrecked up some of my roommates' things, which she did leave sitting on the floor, but still.

I've been trying to think of a way to block off the bedrooms and bathroom from the rest of the house so the dogs will be able to hang out in the kitchen, living room and dining room, where all of their toys are and they also have their water bowl there, too.

There is a very short (~3ft long) "hallway," which is a little bit wider than a doorway. I have two baby gates that would easily fit here, but Kolby's foster mom said that he either jumped over, plowed through and/or broke multiple baby gates. So I would like to see if there's anything else I would be able to put there so the dogs can't get through but the cats can? Both the dogs are left out and the dining room, living room and kitchen are "Kolby-proofed," so I would feel much better if he weren't able to be in the bedrooms at all. Unfortunately locking the cats in the bedrooms isn't an option as their food is in the kitchen. Their litter boxes are in the bedroom, so they need to be able to get back and forth.

I rent so I can't really install anything into the walls but I can't think of anything. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Only thing I can think of Justine is to move the cat's food to the bedroom, too?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Can you find a pressure-mounted gate? These don't need to be attached to a wall and are a bit sturdier than baby gates. Here's an example with a small "gate" for cats:http://www.moorepet.com/Extra-Wide-Walk-Thru-Gate-with-Pet-Door-p/carlson0930.htm. Petsmart sells these also.
That is a great idea, I have never seen that before . . . I was going to suggest cutting a hole in the bottom so the cats could pass through :). If Kolby can jump over gates, you can always use 2 (one on top of the other) to make it higher. The one that I have was cheap ($20 or so). I guess we have been lucky because Bauer has never tried to go over or around it. We don't even pressure mount it anymore, I just slide it open and lean it up against the doorway or bottom of the stairs. He could knock it over very easily, but he has never even tried.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I don't suppose the landlord would let you put up an actual door to the hallway? I can't think of anything he wouldn't try to bust through.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Only thing I can think of Justine is to move the cat's food to the bedroom, too?
That's what I was going to say.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I might end up having to do that.. I just don't think it's fair to have to lock the kitties in the bedrooms when we are gone since they like to look out the windows and lay on their kitties beds. :(

I might try one of those gates - they have "extra" tall ones but I would have to see how tall they are compared to his kennel that he jumps on top of.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Can you find a pressure-mounted gate? These don't need to be attached to a wall and are a bit sturdier than baby gates. Here's an example with a small "gate" for cats:http://www.moorepet.com/Extra-Wide-Walk-Thru-Gate-with-Pet-Door-p/carlson0930.htm. Petsmart sells these also.
These are the only things that keep Ernie out of rooms. Other he chews through or plain barges through. When I visit friends I take them and put them up a little higher so their cats can get through, but Ernie can't Fun watching him on his tummy trying to slither through.

There other metal ones that pressure mount better and you can open them, but they are very expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts