Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out which is better. I know that financially, Netflix is better. Blockbuster is not doing very well. Currently I have Netflix and all the new stuff I add is "very long wait"....I just wonder if they don't keep up enough on their distribution. Anyone who has Blockbuster....do you notice the same thing? We wanted to watch some of the MJ stuff out there that we haven't seen and can understand the long wait there (I am sure they can't anticipate his death. But Whale Wars was mentioned here and I thought it would be cool to check it out....again "Very long wait"...and forget getting any new releases for a few months..... "very long wait".

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I have Netflix and have not gotten a "very long wait" on anything I've requested. There is usually only a two-day turnaround for us, too, love that!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Can't beat Netflix for convenience. I used to HATE running to the store to jam DVDs into the slot on Expiration Day.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I love Netflix. I have never had to wait for anything, but I get oldie moldie kind of movies

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Netflix here also, we have always had a 1-2 day turn around. I'm always amazed at how fast they are.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We don't rent tons of movies, and when we want one or two . . . we just go to the Redbox.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
We're so cheap. We use the library and wait - no lie - 6-9 months for new releases. =)

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I love Netflix, but have become aware of ways to manipulate my Q. The key is to know that new movies come out on Tuesdays. So if you want a new release before it disappears into "Long Wait" limbo here's what you do:

1: Figure out how long it takes for Netflix to check in a movie that you mail back and then send you out a new one. For example....if I put a movie in the mail on Tuesday they check it in on Wednesday and will ship out my next available movie same day. But they are closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

2. Move the new releases that you want to the top of your Q. (They post future releases at the bottom of your Q from your Saved list on Tuesdays...bump them up even if they are not coming out for a few weeks.)

3. Send in your movies so they are checked in on Mondays, the day before the new releases come out. They will ship them a day early!

So say there are 3 new releasing coming out next Tuesday. We will watch 3 movies over the course of the week AND NOT PUT THEM IN THE MAIL. We will wait til Friday to mail them...then they will be checked in on Monday and we will ge the 3 new releases that are coming out the next day! :)

Use your Saved Q. Add movies that are in the theaters now (I have some that aren't even out yet, but I've seen previews for them) and be sure to bump them up to the top of your Q when they get release dates.

Good luck and happy viewing!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I like Blockbuster because you can return movies for in-store movies and if you run out of in-store exchanges; then you only pay $1.99. If you don't have a BB convenient to you; I'd choose whichever one has the best turnaround time. I do know that BB has some "BB" only movies, though.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Can't beat Netflix for convenience. I used to HATE running to the store to jam DVDs into the slot on Expiration Day.
I think she's referring to the Blockbuster Online service, not going in to the store.

I've had Netflix and currently have Blockbuster. Netflix was about a day quicker on the shipment that Blockbuster is. With Netflix, if I stuck a movie in the mail on Monday, I'd get my new one on Weds and with Blockbuster I'll get it on Thurs. I like Blockbuster now because if I choose to return the movie in-store, I get to pick a free rental right then from the store. I also get a coupon every month for a free in-store rental.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We watch a LOT of movies so I think that is why it takes us longer to get new releases (they put flippers back in priority). But it sounds like it is the best option. I've just noticed recently that so many are very long wait and not sure why. Maybe there are a lot of new releases we want to see.

I like the manipulation idea!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts