Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, while dozing in her human dad's lap, Piper released her bladder. Her entire bladder. ALL of it. On him.

Loads, and loads of urine.

An hour or so later, she pee'd on the floor directly in front of the door that I was currently opening in order to let her out.

So, off to the vet today with urine sample in hand and she was dx'd with a bladder infection. Vet told hubby that her "PH balance was way out of whack." So, he prescribed 2,000 mg of Vitamin C along with an antibiotic for the infection.

What does Vit. C do for a canine's ph?? Hubby (of course) did not get all the details....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh! One more thing. Do bladder infections and a imbalanced ph typically go hand-in-hand?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Often the bacteria in the bladder produce byproducts that will change the pH (urease-producing bacteria are common, and make the urine alkaline - carnivores normally have an acidic urine). I think the belief is that vitamin C will acidify the urine (although in a short search I don't see anything concrete to support that).

I hope she feels better soon! And a little lol at your poor DH's fate last night :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts