1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened

3/4 cup milk

2 cups fresh blackberries

1 cup fresh blueberries

1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar

2 cups grape OR apple juice

Powdered sugar (optional)

Vanilla ice cream or light cream

Grease 9x13 pan or 3 qt baking dish (I spray with Pam). Preheat oven to 350.

Stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt in bowl. Beat the 1 cup of sugar and margarine/butter with electric mixer until fluffy. Add flour mixture alternately with milk. Beat until smooth. Spread the batter evenly over the bottom of prepared baking pan or dish.

Sprinkle berries evenly over batter. Sprinkle the 1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar over berries depending on sweetness of fruit. Pour juice over fruit.

Bake in 350 oven for 40-50 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean (top of cake may be lightly browned). Some of the fruit will sink to the bottom as cake rises to top.

Cool on wire rack about 30 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar if desired. Serve warm with cream or ice cream. Makes 12 servings.

** I think this is good with any fresh fruit that makes a good cobbler. I like to use a little more than 3 cups total of fruit, but that's just me. Also I think this is just fine if served cooled completely - it doesn't have to be served warm, but it is good that way. I like the blackberry/blueberry /peach cobbler with light cream poured over, but most of my friends wig out with the cream and want ice cream or whipped cream instead.

Here is a pic of one that I made that has been 'broken into' already. This was black & blue berry with peaches.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
looks delicious. I even have all the berries...I'll have to try to make this this weekend :D

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I used this as the basis for my cobbler recipe and it turned out so good! I have a TON of berries to use so I used 4 cups of berries total instead of 3.

It's important to note that your sugar varies with the sweetness of the berries. My blueberries were really sweet, but my blackberries are super tart so I added a bit more sugar.

I also used 2 additional cups of milk instead of the fruit juice....this is too good to taint it with high fructose corn syrup! I just made sure it was sweet enough for my taste using raw sugar and agave nectar.

I've been pouring milk or plain yogurt over mine and eating it for breakfast (and sometimes dessert!) and have really been enjoying it. I am probably going to make it again this weekend and freeze it in portions.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh let me know how freezing it works out. And thanks for the tip about adding more milk to the batter instead of juice at the end. I'll try it that way next time.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
That looks scrumptious, I think I will try it this weekend with blackberries and huckleberries, I have both in my back yard! Yum

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I'm trying a new method where you mix the flour with yogurt the day before you make it. The lacto-fermentation process is supposed to replace using baking powders. I mixed it last night so I will make the cobbler tonight. I'll let you guys know how it turns out! My blueberries smelled like they could be going bad when I opened them up this morning...I need to use them up and freeze the rest pronto!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts