Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about black fuzzy caterpillars being poisonous? I did an internet search and it information on "stinging caterpillars" came up. It sounds like their fur can cause rashes. Ellie picked one up this morning and was chomping on it. A little while later she threw up her food. She was eating grass after that, and threw that up too. I'm keeping an eye on her, but thought I'd check to see if anyone here knew?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
A few years ago we found a black fuzzy caterpillar. I researched it. The one I found had orange rings between the bands of black prickles. You could see them when it would curl up. We saved it and I did the research.
If yours was the same one, be careful. It did have some kind of toxin that you wouldn't want in your skin. Nothing serious, but would present problems (minor - skin).

The one I had would turn into a white moth with black spots. I can't remember what it was called, though. They were migratory. And when it got out of the jar, within a couple of hours we spotted it on the wall three rooms away. Fast little buggar as far as I'm concerned.

I will tell you that there is a black caterpillar without the orange rings, too. But I don't know if they are safe or not.

By the way, I'm in North Texas, and they were prominent mostly north and to the west of here if I recall.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'll check it out. She seems to be doing fine still, so hopefully it was nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts