Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this story interesting:

http://news.aol.com/main/obama-presidency/article/obamas-nonbeliever-nod-during/316339

In a nutshell, this story says that members of the clergy from black churches took offense at Obama's remark in his inaugration speech, where he referenced not only Christians and Jews, but Muslims, Hindus, and even those who profess no religious faith.

Honestly, I didn't see anything wrong with what he said here. While I am a Christian and adhere to the Christian faith, all he did was recognize just a few of the different people who make up the population. No doubt this is not an exhaustive list of the diversity of beliefs held by Americans. Good citizenship is found in people of all beliefs. Good things are done by lots of people, irrespective of their personal beliefs. All he did was state a fact, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I'll never understand why the truth can be so offensive to some people.

Not being christian doesn't make you any less american.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Ender's Mom said:

Logically. But to a whole lot of people, being American has a pretty narrow definition.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
What a stupid freakin thing to get upset about. God forbid he should acknowledge that a lot of perfectly nice Americans don't believe in God.

Maybe they could get back to something important like drop-out rates for black youth or inner city drug problems. Maybe spend that energy in a place that needs it.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
myfavoritedog said:
While I am a Christian and adhere to the Christian faith, all he did was recognize just a few of the different people who make up the population. No doubt this is not an exhaustive list of the diversity of beliefs held by Americans. Good citizenship is found in people of all beliefs. Good things are done by lots of people, irrespective of their personal beliefs. All he did was state a fact, nothing more, nothing less.
Same here.
A might touchy aren't they.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Feelings like that are why we all need "freedom FROM religion" as well as "freedom OF religion".

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Ender's Mom said:

Nor does it make one immoral/evil/corrupt/etc.

If I meet a genuinely nice person that is caring and loving of all things. Just a truly decent person with a good heart. The first thought that crosses my mind ,certainly isn't "Oh he must be a Christian!" The only thought that I have is "Hey, what a nice guy".

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
You really can't please all the people all the time. Some folks think that if you don't believe 100% what they do, that you're dissing them. Get over it, people.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i don't prescribe to any specific religion. i guess i shouldn't be allowed to be an american.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
"... where the Jews, don't lose; where the Hindu, kin-do; where the Muslim, can-hum; where the Scientologist, don't need a proctologist; where the athiest, can be greathiest....."

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Yeah...and Michelle Obama is catching flak from blacks because she didn't use a black designer's dress for the inauguration or balls....

Wasn't it a black man who didn't want us to judge by the color of skin? and we have a holiday in his honor because he was truly a great man?

Let's take his advice....drop this whole black business...and let the Obama's choose whoever they want to give a speech, prayer or buy whatever **** dress they want to buy....good grief...what century are some people living in anyway?

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
labs4life said:
Ender's Mom said:

Nor does it make one immoral/evil/corrupt/etc.

If I meet a genuinely nice person that is caring and loving of all things. Just a truly decent person with a good heart. The first thought that crosses my mind ,certainly isn't "Oh he must be a Christian!" The only thought that I have is "Hey, what a nice guy".
+1000

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
You know what? I bet it's not just black clergy. I bet there were plenty of other clergy that weren't thrilled with the inclusion also, maybe they're just being less vocal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts