Just Labradors banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts
This is very nice. You've done a good job with B&W conversion. It looks like you have a lot of noise in the picture. You might try reducing the noise before converting it.

Would like some critique on this one. Her shirt was white, in bright sun, and with the hat on, I had to expose for her face/eyes, so the shirt is blown. Is there anything I can do about it at this point? Is it that distracting? Comments appreciated. Thanks.

I converted it by changing it to a grey scale and then adjusting levels and contrast. I tried converting it by using the hue/saturation/lightness but did not like the results (her face was too dark).

Regan

Linda, I think you've done a good job with what you had to work with. You could select just the shirt and use the levels on it by itself. It might darken it some. I think I would have metered more for the shirt. It's easier to correct the face than a blown out shirt. Try averaging the difference between the shirt and the face next time.

Yes and no. It looks better than the other. I think I would like it just a little whiter. It is a white shirt. This makes it look like it was another color. You did a good job of selecting it and correcting it.

ok here's my attempt at converting a photo to black and white. I love photo editing it's so fun!!

original: ( i love my dof in this! i'm very proud of it)

f/ 4.4
ISO: 125
focal legnth: 38.8mm
it says my flash fired..i don't remember that but it must have (lol)

Edited:
I used Paint Shop Pro Photo XI, created a new layer of the photo and then converted into B&W.

Linda, I was on my main computer last night when I was looking at that picture. There was a definite blue cast to the shirt, just the shirt after you selected it. Now, on my laptop there's no blue cast. I really like it. Well done.

What makes a good B&W? That's a good one. I don't know an offical definition. I just like a B&W to have plenty of contrast. I like the full spectrum from white to black. That's why I love Jimbo's pic of the little black girl in Church. It covers the full range of color.

Stacey - Well done. That's a nice conversion. Your DOF is nice. Does you dog's right eye turn outward? It appears to in this picture. Both eyes should move together in the same direction.

Thanks Monnie.. .I just wasn't seeing any blue :) Also thanks for the criteria for B & W. I agree, I would like to see a range of black to grey to white.

I like Jimbo's church shot, but the shirts on the folks are blown and that distracts me. I'm wondering why the shirt on my little girl was not "ok" if the shirts in Jimbo's are ok? I'm not being pissy... I'm trying to learn ;D

Monnie, Molly's right eye wanders out from time to time. Usually you can get her to focus back in on you, but I wasn't thinking to do that. We don't know why it happens, but our vet doesn't seem to think it's a problem as long as it doesn't affect her vision.

Linda, on this computer I don't think the white shirts are blown out in Jimbo's church shot. Also on this computer I don't think your girl's shirt is blown out that bad either. I wouldn't change it on this computer. I do think the fish is blurrier on the original than it is on the redo.

Stacey - It looks like what is called a lazy eye or amblyopia.

buddysmom said:
Stacey - It looks like what is called a lazy eye or amblyopia.
That's the word I was looking for! I knew it was lazy something since I had a lazy eye when I was a baby. What you see in the picture is as far as it wanders and it's only when she is tired. She'll have it check at her annual vet visit unless we notice changes in the eye.

Mine affected my vision though and I had something else wrong with it and they did surgery.

...:angel: sorry for the eye hi-jack lol :angel:

My step daughter has a lazy eye. We had to patch it for a long time. It never did fix itself. She still has monocular vision. Her brain shuts the impulse from that eye down. If it didn't, she would have double vision at all times.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.