Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hoped Mira wouldl live to celebrate her 14th birthday and she has made it. However this has been a really rough and sad last two weeks. Her hind legs are much weaker and she can occasionally just fall over standing still. For the past 2 days, I have kept her in the bedroom with the carpet to confine her to a safer place.

But she is now refusing her beloved marrow bones, does not want to take a walk, and worst of all is getting really confused about where she is. When I motion to her to come over, she just looks at me - not sure what I want. She paces alot and the vet said she does that because she can't get comfortable. Often she falls asleep half on her bed and half off because she can't get coordinated anymore.

So I have been selfish and kept her with me to this day so I can cook her some chicken for her birthday and last dinner. I know she will like that. And on Saturday morning, I will take her to the vet to be put down. I have no doubt it is the right time but this is so hard. She will most likely be my last lab as I am getting too old to lift heavy dogs. And my house will be so quite when I come back tomorrow as I have no other dogs and live alone.

I asked Labby/Laura to post some photos of Mira and she did in another post. I hope you like them.
Norma

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
First, Happy Birthday, Mira !!!!! !!!!! !!!!. That is a lot of candles.

The two of you have been fortunate to have each other for so long. It is always painful when one has to say goodbye to the other, and even harder for the one that has to make those decisions. But those decisions are made from the heart.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this, especially on her birthday. You are in my prayers.

Happy Birthday Mira!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Happy Birthday sweet Mira.

May your last birthday be filled with sweetness and love, just how you deserve.

Norma I am so sorry this time as come. I will be thinking of you on Saturday.... give Mira lots of special birthday hugs from us. :(

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to you!!!

I can't even begin to fathom what you have been through to reach this decision or what you are about to go through. Please remember your friends at JL are here to provide support.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Happy 14th Mira. We love you!!

I'm so sorry :(. Tears for you and Mira. Norma I can only imagine the pain you are feeling. (((HUGS))) we are here for you.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Happy birthday Mira. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I understand how hard this is too do, I put my first lab down at almost 14, but you are doing the right thing by her. God Bless you both.

By the way... the pic's that were posted were beautiful

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
My heart goes out to you both today. May you have a nice day with Mira, may you both know how much you love each other, and may your heart rest easy tomorrow knowing that you have done the best for her these 14 years.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm very sorry for what you're going through. You're making the right decision. Mira's passing will most likely be very easy for her. I feel very teary reading your message - the same thing happened to Bella a few months ago. My thoughts will be with you and Mira tomorrow morning. God bless both of you.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Happy happy 14th birthday beautiful old girl.

Norma I am so sorry that you have had to reach this decision, but you know your girl is ready and you are doing the right thing. We are all here for you hug your girl tight tonight xx

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just been through what you are going through and my thoughts and prayers are with you and Mira.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Norma, this post broke my heart. I think you are doing the right thing, but I know it will be one of the hardest things you'll ever do. There is not really anything I can say that you don't already know, so I'll just say I'm thinking of you and sending you lots of love. Just go and be with her and she will know that you are there, loving her as always.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Tears streaming down my face. I'm so sorry.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts