Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some insight on my Yukon's behavior. He's almost 7 months now and while I think he's a well-intentioned sweet dog, I think the biting at this age is a problem.

What I'm calling "biting" is when he first sees someone (immediate family or stranger) he'll run and jump on them, grabbing their shirt or pants with his teeth (instantly putting a hole in it). It isn't "angry" biting. What is it though?

It seems tied to the jumping because my youngest child is 3 and since she's so short he doesn't have to jump, she doesn't get any of this really. He may knock her over though if he's excited.

I've also noticed that when we hold him back by his collar when he first sees someone, letting go is like releasing a rocket (aiming at the person!) We could really use some suggestions on stopping the pouncing/jumping. I do think the clothes-bite would stop then too. We really need to stop this because sometimes he gets more than the shirt and we can't have him hurting people. I should mention that once he's had his time to "greet" you, he's fine. He does follow commands pretty well and he seems to want to please.

I don't remember having this problem with our previous lab so we would really appreciate some direction. Thank you!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I think he's excited and is just playing. Abbey used to do this when she was a puppy, but we kicked the habit when she was very young.

Has he been in an obedience class yet? If not, definitely get into that. I'm not sure where you are, but someone on here could probably recommend a good place. That will help you get the basics down to help control him in the situations you mention.

Eventually, you should be able to make him sit and wait while the people come in and then he can go say hi when he's calm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you're right. I just wonder at what age he's too old for this behavior. Plus my sister is scared to see him! I'll have to find out about an obedience class. I was hoping to avoid that because I've got 3 kids and would need a babysitter, but I DO want to teach him how to behave around people. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I suggest getting him on a leash when someone comes, so he can't jump on them. Teach him he's not allowed to do that. At seven months old, he's probably just excited, but he needs to learn it's unacceptable. Like Justine said, teach him to sit until he's calm, then he can greet the person.

BTW, I'm no expert. Mine get excited when someone comes too and they are 5 and 7, but they will not jump on people. They learned that early on.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'd be training NO BITE and rehearsing over and over and over and over the procedure you want in place for meeting new people or having the doorbell ring. GIVE him something to do: Downstay while you go to the door. And then a release word (MEET, maybe) to let him know that it's okay to CALMLY come over and say hello.

You can practice this w/someone ringing the doorbell. A little every day. And yes, on-leash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to have to invest some extra time in this. I'm going to have to get him to be more consisitent with his stay. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You have been given some good suggestions. I will add the following, and everyone has to do it, meaning arriving guests need to be told before they arrive.
(1) If the dog is prepping to great with great enthusiasm (jumping), the one being greeted has to turn back on the dog, not recognize him, and maintain the position until he calms down. Then get petted once calm.
(2) If dog is faster than the visitor can turn, visit raises knee allowing dog to hit knee, not be hit by the knee.

Just extra steps to take in addition to the training to sit/stay. An obedience class would be great.

Our HK is a very gentle dog, but when a visitor comes, especially a 1-3 yr old granddaughter, the enthusiasm is amazing. She does not jump on them, but the attempts to lick those faces (at the perfect level) often results in a granddaughter knocked down on her butt with face being washed. This only happens with surprise visits now. When we know they are coming, HK is put in a sit stay until everyone is settled down.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I agree on the leash. When someone comes, tell them not to react to him till he is calm, and sitting/laying down. Once he is doing what is asked (sitting or laying), then they can approach him, if he gets excited, repeat. He is not to get attention till he is doing as told. Maybe have treats on hand to help the process along. Something you need to nip in the bud now, before he gets bigger, and hurts someone (not intentionally of course). Also, something to keep in mind, if you don't want him jumping at Grandma Hazel, then the no jump has to be for everyone. Can't make exceptions that Uncle Harold likes to be jumped up to be greeted by Fido, but not Grandma Hazel. So make no exceptions and stick with it. Do what you can to get him into some sort of training.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We did a lot of practice with this, as Bauer is also very exuberant with his greeting. We started with the kids coming to the door, and I kept Bauer on a leash not allowing him to jump on them. We did this over and over (they would literally come in the front, go out the back, and come in the front again). Once he was able to do this without a leash, we put the leash back on and had the boy's friends come over and do the same thing over and over. Eventually it wasn't a big deal when people came over. Bauer is still an exuberant greeter, but if he gets to excited I just remove him for a few minutes. He is getting better as he gets older (he is 15 months old).

I do think size has something to do with it. I think they want to look the person in the face. Bauer never jumped on my nephew, and greets small children much more calmly than he does adults.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I've had to keep people waiting at the door for 5 minutes at times because i've tried to be very diligent that people do NOT come inside if they're excited.. no leash.. just me putting them in a sit stay and backing them far enough away from the door that people have some space to take their shoes off..

Tuck's great at it.. koder still needs practice but she's slowly getting the idea that calm = new friends.. excited = no new friends

It's a process.. but we're getting there.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I hope you're right. I just wonder at what age he's too old for this behavior. Plus my sister is scared to see him! I'll have to find out about an obedience class. I was hoping to avoid that because I've got 3 kids and would need a babysitter, but I DO want to teach him how to behave around people. Thanks.
Take the kids to class with you! It is best that everyone learns to use the same commands to work with your pup. I have seen kids at obedience class before, and they all practice with the dog between classes.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Many trainers will do in-home lessons as well as, or instead of, group classes. That might work better for you and your family....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your good ideas. I'm even trying to train his reaction (on the leash)when he 1st sees my kids in the morning. That's prime jumping time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts