Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid our propane company via my bank on March 12th, it was removed from my account on the 16th. The propane company charged me a finance charge for not receiving the payment until the 26th (2 days late). I have never experienced THIS much of a lag and wondered if anyone has ever encountered this? I pay my bills WELL enough in advance and have never had this happen. Should I contact my bank and ask what happenned? Is this a banking problem or propane vendor problem? I am so ticked about it! They are taking it off but I told them I have ALWAYS been on time with payment and planned more than a week prior to payment.

OH, last time I sent them a check and the post office sent it to the wrong address, check was ripped in half and they only received half.......this has never happenned either :eek: think this is a sign LOL

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
It can take 3-6 business days (no holidays, no weekends) to process a bill payment. I worked for a major Canadian bank so I know this. Ideally, a payment would be recieved by the company in 3, but there is no guarantee. It's not that you paid the bill too late, but the removal of the bill payment company before the payment was fully processed is most likely the problem. I'd call the bank.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eastcoastmom said:
It can take 3-6 business days (no holidays, no weekends) to process a bill payment. I worked for a major Canadian bank so I know this. Ideally, a payment would be recieved by the company in 3, but there is no guarantee. It's not that you paid the bill too late, but the removal of the bill payment company before the payment was fully processed is most likely the problem. I'd call the bank.
Right, I sent in on the 12th (or processed on the 12th) and it was taken out on the 16th. They said they did not cash it till the 26th (14 days!!!). Either 1) my bank is slow or 2) Crystal Flash took over a week to get it to the bank! How am I supposed to know?????

I have never had this problem before.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
We cancelled our Internet banking over this issue: Frequently, when the vendor isn't set up for electronic payments, once you authorize the transferral from the bank, some dopey bank employee sits and writes and mails a paper check FOR you and sends it off.

We were getting KILLED with late fees.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Not sure about the bank you use. But my bank states it will cover and late charges if its the banks fault. I just started using it this week. So far so good.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I am calling my bank today to check and make sure they arent cutting checks and sending them as well. I paid mine like three days before they were due.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I don't do use the bank's bill pay system. If a company has the option to pay on line, I use that feature, i.e., phone, electric, credit card, and I always get e-mails within minutes from the companies verifying that a payment has been made along with a confirmation number.

G

·
I use Bank of America to pay certain bills. Time Warner because their online bill pay system SUCKS. My doctor bills because I always forget to write out the checks and mail them so its easier for me to do it online when I'm paying my other bills online...I also use it to send money to my family. Basically I use it for anyone that doesn't have an online bill pay feature. I've never had that kind of issue before...what a nightmare!

For BOA, when I send money to my mom they get the check on the day the money comes out of my account and I assume it works that way on my bills too.

Hope you get things worked out with your bank...sounds like they had a snafu there.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I would call the bank and see for sure what their policy is. I know my bank used to take the money out when they sent the payment not when it was received. They have changed it now and take it out when the company receives the payment and it tells you when you submit the payment when it should be paid (how many days). That being said I have stopped using them as well. I pay 90% of my bills online but I do it through the individual websites instead, it takes longer but it posts to the account that day or the next and I get a confirmation that it's posted. I've also had some issues with my bank since I have 2 checking accounts they have taken the bills out of the wrong account overdrawing it. Then of course charging me $32/overdraft. I know I had the other account selected when I submitted because they had done it before so I was extra careful, but since I didn't have any proof they wouldn't take the charges off. So I won't use it anymore because that adds up fast.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
BuddyandBailey said:
wow I have never heard of this. I have never had a problem with paying my bills on time and I honest pay them like the day before they are due.
that's what i do.. never had a problem

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I've used online banking for several years now with Wachovia. I've never had a problem. I just have to make sure I get it posted into the computer in time. I may take up to a week for Wachovia will write the check. I've never had one late by a bank error. The checks are always delivered on the day the bank says it will.

That being said, now I've jinxed myself. My next bill will be late. LOL

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I don't pay through the bank but through the sites of the vendors. I pay everyone online that I can. The only checks I write are GMAC x2, State Farm and the boat payment. Everything else except for Day Care is online. So I guess I write 6 checks a month.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I pay our rent through my bank. I set it up so that my landlord is supposed to have the check by the 1st of the month; the bank does not deduct it until he caches the check. I've never had a problem with this setup, knock on wood. Everything else I pay through each company's website, so I get the confirmation from THEM that the payment was sent.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I called the bank and its like most of you have said. They sent a check. So all my bills are late. No one to blame but myself. I should have made sure to read everything. **** it man !

G

·
I use online bill pay with Bank of America and have never had a problem, but only use it to pay vendors that have an electronic process. Like Verizon and Verizon Wireless, Chase, Target and similar. Works great and I get a confirmation from the vendor in 24 hours that they got the payment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts